Chapter 7: The invite

It was another bustling day under the big top at the circus. Everyone was a flurry of activity because, in just a few days, they would be celebrating Fizz's 18th birthday. The excitement was palpable as preparations were in full swing – decorations were being crafted, presents selected, and invitations diligently sent out to everyone in town. The circus had a tradition of going all out for birthdays, and this time it was Fizz's turn.

Fizz strolled past the tent where the invitation cards were being made. Curiosity got the better of him, so he asked if he could have one to take a look. They happily handed him an invite.

As he examined the invitation, a thought occurred to him

As he examined the invitation, a thought occurred to him. For this special birthday, he decided he wanted to invite Emmy to the party. He was about to set off in search of her when he heard Blitzo's voice.

"Hey, Fizz, word has it there's some new, top-shelf booze that's just arrived from the Gluttony Ring. Let's see if we can nab some before they realize it's gone," Blitzo suggested, a mischievous grin on his face.

Fizz hesitated for a moment before politely declining, "Sorry, Blitzo, but there's somewhere I have to be right now."

Blitzo felt a pang of sadness as Fizz turned down his offer. "Maybe another time, okay?" Fizz reassured him.

As Fizz was about to leave, Blitzo unexpectedly grabbed him and ushered him into an empty tent away from prying eyes. Fizz couldn't help but express his annoyance, "What the fuck, Blitzo?"

With his back turned away from Fizz, Blitzo stood in silence for a moment before finally mustering the courage to ask, "Are you going to see them?"

Fizz was uncertain about what Blitzo was referring to, wearing a puzzled expression as he asked, "What are you talking about?"

Turning to face Fizz, Blitzo came clean, "Fizz, I saw you at the witch's house."

Fizz froze in fear upon hearing those words. He had not expected Blitzo to discover his secret visits to Emmy's house. With trepidation, he asked, "Y-you were following me?"

Blitzo, realizing he had made Fizz uncomfortable, began to panic, "Oh, shit, I'm sorry... I didn't mean to follow you, but... I was wondering where you were going all the time, and I wanted to see... But I swear that I didn't tell anyone. I just want to know... Who was it you were talking to?"

Fizz found himself in a quandary, unsure of how much to reveal to Blitzo, who seemed to already have some inkling of the truth. He mulled it over, thinking, "Should I tell him about Emmy?" Finally, he took a deep breath and said, "Okay, Blitzo... I'll tell you." He pointed a finger at Blitzo and added, "But promise me you won't tell anyone, okay?"

Blitzo's face broke into a reassuring smile, and he responded, "I promise. No one will know."

Fizz rubbed the back of his neck, gathering his thoughts. He began, "So... the person I was talking to is... another Imp kid."