Failed kiss

Y/N's pov:

I felt myself regaining consciousness, along with something hugging my arm. Or more like someone. I was lying on my side, I looked and saw Merlin hugging my arm still unconscious. My face went a bit red as I saw him smiling, holding my arm tighter.

"Merlin."

...

"Merlin!"

He finally woke up and looked up at me, still holding onto me. "Everything okay?" I ask awkwardly. "Of course! Sure!" He quickly got off me. "Nothing to be embarrassed about."

I also got up as he was looking around for a direction to go. "Why are we even talking about that when we should be going...this direction." He pointed in a direction and started walking. "Wait." I called out, catching up to him.

————

We got out of the woods and we're now walking beside a river. None of us were saying a word, which to me, made it a bit awkward. Thankfully, he could sense it as well. "So...you're a princess that can fight?" He asked, trying to make conversation.

Looking down at him and answered, "Yeah, I guess, Father wanted both me and B/N to train both magic and fighting, in case something happened to one of us." He hummed in response.

"It just surprises me as you don't really see any princesses on a battlefield." He said. "Well, I guess I was just one of the lucky ones. Not a lot of princesses have this much freedom as I do, I'm very grateful for that. But it doesn't mean that they don't have the same potential."

He looked at me and then looked forward like he was in thought. "Tell me more about you. All I know is that you're 'Popular, handsome and famous.' What else is there to know about 'The Great Merlin' on the inside?" I said a bit enthusiastic.

He looked a bit taken aback at my question but was quick to answer, "Well for starters, like I said, the real me isn't like this. In fact, it's very rare if even I get to see the real me. So I guess...it makes me feel different on the outside than what I feel on the inside." He looked more down as he said that.

Seeing him sad made me feel a little sad for him. I got an idea to cheer him up, "Merlin, I'd like to give you a token of my appreciation. Could you give me one of your spells please?"

His face lit up and gave me a smirk, "Why?" He asked sceptical. "Oh come on, if I was gonna zap you, I would've already done it." We laughed and he handed me a talisman.

"Give me a second." I told him and sat down on the broken log in front of us and got to work. I felt his presence as he sat down next to me. Looking to the side, I saw him trying to peep over my shoulder, he turned around and started whistling like he wasn't looking.

After folding the talisman to look like a flower, I held it tight in my hand. When I opened my hand, the talisman now had a little glow. Finishing it off, I gave it a little kiss.

"There, consider it your good luck charm." I placed it in his hand. He smiled as he had a good look at it. "Thank you." I smiled and looked into the distance. Unbeknownst to me, Merlin had kissed the token multiple times.

As I was staring at the sunset, a thought came to my mind, "Merlin? Do you think you'd be happier if you were your old self?" I asked him. "Yep, yep, yep. I would." He replied with no hesitation.

"Well, I like how you are. Right here, just, right now." He smiled and then made a funny face, "Even if I'm an ugly green monster?" I giggled and carried on. "I don't care about your height or what colour you are. What I care about is you on the inside. And that's how you feel about me, right?"