♡Chaper 7♡

Espresso sighed a sigh of relief as he stepped into his history class. He had been looking forward to this class all day. Actually, it was the only class he looked forward to lately. It was the only class he could really talk to Madeleine in.

He smiled as he saw Madeleine, waiting for him. Madeleine's eyes lit up as he saw him, but a look of concern flashed across his face as he saw the cuts and bruises on Espresso.

Espresso sat down in his seat. His body was still aching from his father's beating yesterday. Father had never been that violent before, it was terrifying.

"What happened?! Did you get beat up again?" Madeleine asked, getting closer to examine his injuries.

Espresso felt his cheeks heat as Madeleine got close to his face. "Oh, uh- Yeah. Someone beat me up again," He said. He really didn't want to tell Madeleine about his father.

"Who was it?"

He shrugged. "I'm not sure," He mumbled, trying to come up with a lie quickly. "... Just some random girl who insisted I took you from her. She was... Really violent."

"I'm so sorry," Madeleine said. "Wow, this one looks a lot worse than the first time."

Espresso nodded, getting a little nervous. "Yeah."

The teacher looked over at them. "Are we staying on task?" She asked the two.

Madeleine glanced up at her. "Sorry, ma'am." He grabbed his paper. "Let's keep working on the project."

Espresso nodded.

They worked for the rest of the class period, working on the presentation.

The bell was about to ring, and everyone was packing up. Madeleine gasped. "Oh, that's right! I was going to ask you, would you like my number?"

Caught off guard at this question, he turned around to face him, blushing. He felt the jealous eyes of the other students staring straight into his soul. "Your... Your phone number?"

"Yes! For the project, so we can talk even when we're not together."

Espresso cleared his throat. "Oh, y-yes, of course."

Madeleine typed his number into Espresso's phone before giving it back to him. The bell rang. Madeleine stood up. "Bye, Espresso!" He smiled, exiting the classroom.

Espresso realized he hadn't finished packing up, and he quickly closed his backpack and slung it over his shoulder before following the students out of the classroom. He glanced down at his phone. He couldn't believe Madeleine gave him his phone number.

He stepped onto the bus, sitting next to Latte. "You'll never guess what," He said to her, grinning as he blushed.

Latte turned to him, noticing the slight blush on his face. She smirked. "Something about Madeleine?"

"What?! How did you know??" He gasped.

"You always have that stupid look on your face when something involving him happens. Do you maybe have a crush on him~?"

"No!" Espresso yelled. "Shut up! People will hear you!" The redness spread across his face as he covered it with his hands.

"Uh huh," Latte said, still smirking at him. "Anyway, what were you gonna tell me?"

Espresso cleared his throat. "Madeleine just gave me his number." He smiled.

Her jaw dropped. "Oh. My. God," She said. "He's totally into you."

He glared at her. "Shut up. It's just for the project. And don't you dare mention it around Mother and Father."

"I know, I know."

Espresso smiled again, blushing as he thought about Madeleine. He couldn't believe he gave him his number.

They stepped into their house, and Espresso immediately walked past Mother and Father. He went up the stairs and into his bedroom, flopping down on his bed as he pulled out his phone. He stared at the number. Madeleine's number.

He wondered if he should text him now. But he remembered that Madeleine said he only gave him his number for the project. The smile faded off his face. He really wanted to text him.

Latte stepped into the room. "Mother and Father want to see the test you got back today."

Espresso looked at her, turning off his phone and sitting up. "Oh, I forgot. Tell them I got a 101."

"...I think they want to see it."

"Why?" He scoffed. "Do they think I'd lie about a test score?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "Maybe. Just come on." Latte walked back out of the room and down the stairs.

Espresso sighed but took the test out of his backpack and headed downstairs as well.

He looked up at Father, who was staring at him expectantly. Espresso tensed up as they made eye contact. He didn't want him to hurt him like that again.

As soon as he reached the bottom of the stairs, Father snatched the paper from him, glancing at the score. He didn't say anything as he handed it back to him. He turned to Latte. "Latte, I'm so proud of you. You did such an amazing job." He ruffled her hair, and she smiled as she received the praise.

Espresso sighed. He hated that Latte just stood there receiving all the praise while Espresso got none. But he couldn't blame her. If they treated him like they treated Latte, he didn't think he would say anything to turn the praise away from him either.

Still, it sucked to watch Latte get showered in compliments while they didn't even bother to look at Espresso.

Latte seemed to notice he was feeling left out. "What did Espresso get on the test?" She causally asked.

"A 101," Father said. "Why, darling?"

"Well, I only got a 99, so... Maybe you should tell Espresso how proud you are of him too."

Mother and Father turned to look at him. Father rolled his eyes before awkwardly patting Espresso on his head. "Good job, son."

He winced a bit at the sudden movement, but as his father rested his hand on his head, he felt himself start to lean into his hand. Espresso was really touch starved, and while he knew it was sarcastic and forced, he couldn't help but feel a little happy about this.

He watched as Father took his hand away and wiped it on his shirt, side-eyeing him as he turned back to Latte. Espresso sighed again as he stood there, watching Latte continue to get praised.

After another moment, he walked back upstairs and into his room. He decided it would be a good idea to work on the project more.

Espresso yawned, stretching as he leaned back in his chair. He had been working for hours. Latte had already gone to bed, but he stayed up. He needed to work on the research on the project a little more. He was getting a lot done too.

He glanced at the clock and his eyes widened. It was one in the morning. He didn't realize he had been working for so long. Espresso stood up, picking up his phone. A notification popped up. Madeleine had texted him at around ten thirty.

M: Make sure you get enough sleep, Espresso! Don't overwork yourself, okay? Goodnight!! :)

Espresso blushed furiously as he stared at the text. Madeleine has taken time out of his day to text him goodnight. He sat down on the bed, still staring at the text.

He smiled as he lay down on the bed, shutting his phone off and setting it on his desk. "Goodnight, Madeleine," He muttered as he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.