♡Chapter 18♡

"We'll hang this test right up next to the other ones. See?" Mother hung another one of Latte's perfect tests on the refrigerator for all to see as they both smiled.

"Yeah! Thanks, Mother! I'm really proud of this test!" Latte responded, grinning happily at her 105.

Espresso rolled his eyes, crumpling up his test that said 75 on the top and throwing it away in the kitchen trash can. Neither of his parents cared. They hadn't even looked at him when he walked in the house.

Since neither him nor his parents gave a shit about his grades anymore, Latte wasn't trying to turn the attention towards him like she normally did. Which was fine, Espresso didn't care. He was happy she was happy. Although it still stung watching Latte get loved to bits by their parents sometimes... It was fine, though. Espresso didn't have anything worth praising anyway.

He stared at Mother and Latte, wishing he could be loved like his sister was. Well, he was loved. By Madeleine. Madeleine loved him. His heart ached as he thought about him. Sure, he had been over to Madeleine's house a day ago, but still. He missed him.

And get this, Espresso's parents had forgotten they grounded him. Even though Father had acted all tough like, "ohh you're grounded until I say so," He fucking forgot. It took Espresso a good week to figure out he could leave the house and his parents didn't care. An entire week! An entire week wasted without seeing Madeleine. (He had been too scared to sneak out again since the first time though, even with Madeleine's endless begging.)

School had gotten kind of boring ever since he stopped obsessing over his grades. Like, all he did was show up, do the bare minimum to not fail, see Madeleine, and leave. Of course, he still tried to keep his grades pretty average, but he certainly wasn't putting enough effort into school as he knew he should.

But he still put effort into the social studies project with Madeleine. They were almost done, and the due date for the project was getting pretty close. Only a little less than one week and they'd be done. Espresso smiled. God, he was glad his teacher assigned them to be partners. He didn't know how he survived without Madeleine.

The end of the school year was coming close too. Espresso heard there was going to be an end-of-year party, and he was pretty excited; maybe Madeleine wanted to go too.

A knock on the front door snapped him out of his thoughts. A rush of happiness tingled through him. Maybe it was Madeleine. He ran to the front door, opening it before anyone else could.

Madeleine was standing on the front porch, and he grinned as Espresso opened the door. He immediately embraced him in a huge hug. "Hi, Espresso!"

"Hi! I'm so happy to see you," Espresso said, hugging him back. After a couple moments, they let go of each other.

"Do you wanna come over to my house and, uh, maybe have a sleepover..?" He giggled awkwardly. "If that's okay with your parents."

Espresso's face lit up. "Oh, I'd love to!" He turned and yelled into the house, "Mother, may I-"

"I don't care," Mother yelled back coldly.

Espresso turned back to Madeleine. "Okay, yeah! I can."

"Yes! Come on, let's go!"

The chilly evening breeze rushed through Espresso hair as the setting sun cast a beautiful red glow on the two. Espresso couldn't help but notice how gorgeous Madeleine looked in the lighting. It made his face look so kissable. His face heated up as he smiled.

Madeleine stopped walking on the path for a second, bending down and picking a little flower. He grinned as he stood back up, turning to Espresso. "I got you a flower," He said, tucking the flower behind his ear and into Espresso's hair.