Chapter 5: Death and Leaving Things Behind

The crowded room within the Ruby Palace was filled with an overwhelming sense of sorrow and grief. Athanasia, weakened and frail, lay on her deathbed, her life force slowly fading away. The mages who had become like family to her and Vasileios wept openly, their hearts heavy with the impending loss.

Vasileios, now ten years old, stood by his mother's bedside, his eyes filled with tears as he held her frail hand. He had done everything he could to help her, even venturing to the Mage Tower in search of a cure for the dark curse that had plagued her. But despite his bravery and determination, they had not found a way to break the curse in time.

Athanasia's voice, though weak and hoarse, carried a deep sense of love and apology as she spoke to her beloved son. Her trembling hand caressed his cheek, and her beaded blue-jeweled eyes locked onto his, filled with both love and sadness.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, her voice barely above a breath. "I'm sorry that we have to part ways like this, Vasil."

Vasileios could hardly speak through his tears, his heart breaking at the thought of losing his mother. "Mama, please don't leave me," he pleaded, his voice trembling with grief.

Athanasia mustered a faint smile, her pale lips curling upwards. "I'll always be with you, my love," she assured him. "In your heart and in your memories. You are the most precious gift I've ever had."

As Athanasia's breathing grew shallower, the mages gathered around her, their magical abilities attempting to ease her pain and provide comfort in her final moments. Vasileios clung to his mother's hand, tears streaming down his face, as he watched her slip away.

In those somber moments, Athanasia took her last breath, her eyes still fixed on her beloved son. A deep sense of loss washed over everyone in the room as her presence faded, leaving an emptiness that seemed impossible to fill.

As days passed following Athanasia's passing, Vasileios found himself facing a difficult decision. A letter arrived, informing him that he was to leave for a whole new world, the world where he was born. He didn't want to leave the place where he had spent most of his life, especially after losing his beloved mother.

However, Vasileios held a sense of determination and a plan of his own. He knew that his mother's death held a hidden truth that needed to be exposed. With a heavy heart, he told the mages to preserve Athanasia's body, to show the emperor the daughter he had abandoned. He wanted his mother's suffering and her sacrifice to be acknowledged.

The mages agreed to Vasileios's request, promising to keep her body safe until the time was right. They respected his determination and understood the importance of revealing the truth.

"Please take care of yourself, Your Highness," one of the mages told him, their eyes filled with both sadness and pride. "We of the Tower will miss you greatly. If the Emperor remains blind to the truth, we will give the princess a proper burial. A burial she rightfully deserves,"

Vasileios nodded, expressing his gratitude to the mages for all they had done for him and his mother. Their support and care had meant the world to him during his time in the Ruby Palace.

"Thank you," he said, his voice filled with sincerity. "For everything."

With a heavy heart, Vasileios prepared to leave behind the only life he had known and embark on a journey to a new world, carrying with him the love and memories of his mother, Athanasia, and the determination to uncover the truth about her identity and her sacrifice.