Chapter 6: Dursley

Petunia Dursley, formerly Petunia Evans, gazed out of the window with a heavy heart. It had been eight long years since her only nephew, Harry, had gone missing from her life.

In the beginning, she had held hope that he would return to her, but as the years passed, that hope had dwindled. Harry had been taken away by magical authorities to a place she could hardly comprehend, a magical hospital, because of his peculiar circumstances. He had been just a baby then, and she wasn't even able to see him the day her sister died.

She remembered the mysterious and otherworldly events that had surrounded her sister's life. Lily's death had been a devastating blow, and she had never gotten a chance to raise her sister's only child.

"Pet," her husband Vernon called for her, his voice filled with concern. He knew all too well the complex feelings that Petunia had harbored toward her sister Lily, and he understood the pain she felt over the loss of her nephew. Regardless of the jealousy and resentment Petunia had once felt, deep down, she had loved her sister dearly.

Petunia turned to Vernon, her eyes misty with unshed tears. "I wish we could have done something," she said, her voice filled with regret. "I wish I could have been there for Harry, especially after Lily..."

Vernon reached out to gently take her hand, offering her a comforting squeeze. "You know we tried our best, Pet," he said softly. "But the world of magic, it's beyond our understanding."

Petunia nodded, her thoughts filled with the memories of the magical world that had both fascinated and frightened her when Lily had been a part of it. She couldn't help but wonder where Harry was now and if he was safe.

In the quiet of their home, Petunia couldn't shake the sense of loss that had haunted her for years. She longed for the opportunity to have her sister back, to raise Harry as her own, and to give him the love and care that she had never been able to provide.

As the quiet night went on, there was a silent pop at the front of their home. Petunia knew that sound. Lily used to make that sound when she apparate.

She hurriedly went past her son and husband toward the door. Petunia's heart raced as she stood at the doorway, looking at the young boy with unruly raven hair and bright blue-green eyes. She couldn't believe her eyes. Could it truly be Harry, her long-lost nephew, standing before her?

She took a step closer, her voice filled with a mixture of hope and disbelief. "H-Harry...?" she stammered, tears welling up in her eyes. She had dreamt of this moment for years, but she had never dared to hope that it would come true. "Are you... my nephew?"

The young boy regarded her with a mixture of curiosity and uncertainty. "Are you... My Aunt Petunia?" he asked in a soft voice, his eyes searching hers for recognition.

Petunia's heart ached at the question, and she rushed forward, pulling the boy into a tight hug. Tears streamed down her face as she held him close. "Yes, Harry," she whispered, her voice filled with emotion. "You're my nephew, and I've missed you so much."

Vernon, who had followed Petunia to the door, stood there in shock, his eyes wide as he took in the sight of the young boy who had suddenly appeared in their home.

Petunia finally released Harry from her embrace and looked at him with a mixture of joy and concern. "Where have you been all these years?" she asked, her voice trembling. "We've been so worried."

Harry's gaze shifted to the floor, and he hesitated before speaking. "Somewhere safe," he said softly. "With my blood adopted mother. But she... she's gone now."

Petunia's heart sank at the mention of his blood adopted mother. She was aware of how blood adoption works, Lily once mentioned it in a passage when she was alive. "I'm so sorry, Harry," she said, her voice filled with sympathy. "Your mother was probably a remarkable woman."