Sea Gods

The girl screamed.

Invisible hands were pulling at her ankles, dragging her down. Her small hands held on tight to the wrists of her lover, who was desperately trying to pull her back up. But the girl was no match for the swirling monster that people called the sea. Roaring waves crashed furiously around the two humans, drowning out the sounds of their screams. It didn't matter how many times they pleaded for forgiveness, the Sea Gods were merciless.

The girl's hands slipped out of the grasp of her lover's. Seawater mixed with the tears on her face as she was pulled away from the safety of land, and down out of the reach of the sun. She was enveloped with cold, it was all she could feel. Her body was going numb and bubbles flew desperately from her mouth as her body reached for the air it could no longer reach. Her vision was blacking out, and her ears were ringing louder than the church bells. She wondered if this was what death felt like, and wished her lover a happy life without her as she was pulled further and further down, and everything got darker and darker. She could no longer feel her body, everything had gone completely numb.

But she had angered the Gods of the Sea, and this was what she deserved.