Chapter 19

Finn and I both froze in the obscurity. The footsteps crept closer. Creeks came from the wooden porch, then the front door swung open. Unable to see, we knew the dark also blinded the faceless man. The footsteps dragged and clunked as though they had been defeated. We heard boots being kicked off of tired feet, and landing yards away. My heart pounded in my chest, wondering if we should say something, or what to even say. Then to my side, I heard Finn mutter "uh". I took in a sharp breath of air, wondering what Finn might be thinking. Knowing both our hearts were about to burst from the anxiety.

"Marcie?" a frantic, deep male voice said in the non-existent room. I heard a gun cocked and raised.

"Uh, no, I'm really sorry. We didn't think anyone was living here." Finn said after too long of a wait, as if he was pondering if he could get out of this saying nothing. I realized at some point we had a chance of running for it, but not now.

"Who the hell are you?" an angry voice charged at us from within the dark.

"I'm sorry, I'm Finn, and my girlfriend, Poppy, is here too. We're really sorry. We were on our way through to town and thought we would stop by, but no one was here."

My heart fluttered at the thought of him calling me his girlfriend, even though I knew I shouldn't be fawning over him in this moment.

"And loot my house!"

"No, no, we... we were looking for supplies, trying to make it to town."

"You that boy that bought the cabin down the road?" the voice said, now in a calmer tone, stepping closer with bare feet that stuck to the floor with each step.

"Yes, yes, we live in the log cabin down the way. We don't have food, we're unprepared - unlike you. We're very sorry, we'll leave now." Finn said in a desperate tone, knowing the walk back would be brutal this late.

"Either of you been bitten?" the voice asks.

There was a silence between us. It was like for a moment, none of us were here, and I didn't exist, nothing existed. I couldn't even make out a silhouette of Finn, the man, or a window. This gloomy room and tense energy contained us all.

"Well, have you? Have you seen any of those sick people around here?" he asked again.

I opened my mouth to say that I had, when Finn interrupted. "Did you hear the helicopter about two weeks ago? That was us coming from the city. We haven't seen anyone out here."

"But have either of you been bitten?"

"No," Finn answered. My heart palpitated again.

"Well, might as well stay till morning, so I can at least see your face. I wake up early. There's a spare bedroom up here. You'll have to guide yourself up." Confusion and relief consumed me but didn't stop us from doing as the voice told us.

With outstretched hands, we fumbled for the staircase and followed him up. He led us to the bedrooms, giving us simple instructions before shutting the door to his own. As we walked down the hallway, we listened to the sounds indicating his movements, our hands tracing the rough texture of the wall. Though Finn walked ahead of me, his presence was only discernible by the soft creaking of the floorboards under his feet.

"It's here" Finn said.

I walked in, only to feel the metal bed frame hit my shin, sending shivers through my nerves. I grimaced in pain.

"Are you okay?"

I groaned a little as I balance on one leg and held my shin with my hands. "Uh, yeah," I said in a breathy tone.

"Sorry" Finn reached out his hand to guide me to the bed.

As Finn crawled in, the soft rustle of the blankets and mattress filled my ears. I followed suit, resting my head on the pillow beside him. Despite the lingering ache in my leg, I drifted off to sleep before I noticed it much longer.