Chapter 20

Before walking into the market, I was brought back to when Finn and I met, and how far we had come together, before all of this; life was so simple, yet complicated. Diving through memories of that first train ride, I was so hungry for attention from anyone, from everyone. So eager for that next post with all the praise that came along with it. The next chapter to drop to see people gobble it up and tell me how great I was, because I learned to not ask myself what I thought. I needed something to extinguish my mental despair and cure my desolate life. Remembering the grand hotel that was an outward reward for my good deeds as someone that could keep people entertained. It all felt so fickle. As though it could be given and taken away within the same swift gust of wind. The memories faded into my reality.

Finn took out his gun and walked around the perimeter of the store, which there were only ten rows of low shelves we could see over. Along with the shelves against the outer walls, it made for easy surveying. A few things were missing from the shelves; a couple boxes of rice had fallen on the floor, making a mess. The scent of decay from the refrigerated section couldn't be ignored, making me gag the closer I got.

Otherwise, there was an abundance of non-perishable goods. I grabbed things off the shelves: my favorite cereal, powered milk; that was still good and would last for the rest of the year: jarred vegetables, pasta, rice, tortillas, canned fruit, chips, crackers. Along with many packets of seeds. I filled my arms as the thrill of finding sustenance washed over me. I was now toward the back of the store, immersed in all my options, when I saw movement in the small window of the door to the back of the store. Then a roar of clatter followed. I spun around to look for Finn, but I couldn't see him. I thought he had been behind me. Running with overloaded arms, the front door swung open, startling me enough to drop everything I had. It was Finn coming back in, but he could see the look on my face something was wrong.

"I saw something move in the back room." I said to Finn, out of breath.

He pulled out his pistol and made his way back. I watched as he pushed the door as he pointed his gun; I grabbed my ax to follow him, with my heart swallowing the rest of me. I took deep breaths to calm my rapid pulse. Not ready to see another infected person, but coming to terms that this was life now. With my ax shaking between my two hands, I walked into the unlit rear room; unable to see much. There was a row of small windows that the sun wasn't shining through yet. Finn scanned the room.

A long shrill of a heavy table shifting filled the space as I jumped out of my skin.

"Sorry," Finn said, "can't see very well"

Then, behind me, the clang of a metal bowl hit the ground. I turned around in an instant, swinging my ax while an unintentional scream left my mouth.

"Poppy, Poppy calm down." Finn said, now behind me.

Cowering in a corner, I could see the shape of a face with bright eyes.

"I... I'm not going to stop you from taking anything, was on my way through town back home. I'm not.... one of those sick people, I promise." She said in a low, elderly voice.

Finn pulled me back as he went over to her and held out a hand to help her up. She struggled to get out of the position she was in. She was about the same height as I was, but I couldn't make anything else out in the darkness.

"We live about ten miles out, we were getting supplies to stock pile the house. Sorry, we're jumpy."

"Well, that's understandable, I guess I am too. I saw you guys walking up, and I took off back here to hide. I thought maybe there was a door back here to the outside to run off. Guess not."

"Lets all grab what we need. We have to walk back home, so we need to get going."

We all made our way back to the front of the store. In the sunlight, I could see this woman had deep wrinkles on her face, with graying strands of hair. Her face showed the stress she'd carried for some time now. Finn pushed the overflowing wagon as the woman kept talking.