Chapter 11

Sirens were blaring, lights were flashing, and people were yelling. I was well aware of what was going on, but all I could do was stare at the wall, my hands clutching the stuffed bunny.

The bunny.

The bunny that my daughter loved.

A whimper escaped my lips and I buried my head in my knees, tightening my hold on the bunny.

This couldn't be happening. This just couldn't be happening. I went from enjoying my honeymoon, to crying my eyes out over my missing daughter. Stormie's words kept echoing in my head, and more tears escaped with every cycle.

Olivia's gone.

It was like a horrific mantra that someone was repeating over and over, and it would only come to an end once I had my baby girl back in my arms.

A knock on the door caused my head to snap up, and I watched as it slowly opened, revealing a teary-eyed Ross. No words were exchanged as he walked over and wrapped his arms around me, causing more tears to escape.

With his head buried in my neck, I could hear his tiny sobs escaping followed by his hot tears hitting my skin. The only time Ross had ever cried like this was when his grandfather died when he was twelve. I remember Ross crying until he fell asleep, and I would always be right next to him so I could comfort him when he woke up. 

Now we both needed comforting. 

"It was him, Ross. It was Ben." I leaned back and stared into his bloodshot eyes, my voice cracking and trembling as I spoke. 

He nodded slowly, his bottom lip quivering. "I-I know. I already told the police everything and they're looking for him. He's not gonna get far, Sky. I promise."

"You can't promise me that, Ross." I whimpered, sniffling. "We don't know how long she's been gone. He can be anywhere right now. H-he could-" I stopped, allowing for a sob to escape. 

"Shh," He cradled the back of my head, gently pushing it into the crook of his neck. "He's not gonna hurt her, Sky. S-she's his...daughter. He wouldn't hurt his daughter." 

The pain in his voice was so clear as he spoke, and I knew he hated admitting that Ben was the father. There was no doubt in my mind that he told the police who Ben was to Olivia, and I could only imagine the sadness that was etched on his face. 

"Everyone's downstairs." He announced after a few moments of silence. 

I shook my head, burying my nose in the stuffed bunny. I couldn't face everyone, not now. I couldn't handle seeing sympathy on all their faces. "Can we please just go home? I can't see them, not right now." 

He frowned, stroking his thumb over the bunny's ear. He looked like he was debating with himself, chewing on his lower lip. But he eventually nodded, causing my heart to start beating at a normal pace again. "Let me go down there and tell them we're leaving, okay? I'll be right back." I managed a nod and closed my eyes briefly as he kissed my forehead before hurrying out of the room. 

I glanced down at the floor, noticing the small bag I packed for Olivia that contained all her clothes she needed for the night. I slowly bent down and reached for it, peeking inside and letting out a sob at what was inside. 

Nothing. It was completely empty. 

I remained on the floor until Ross returned, clutching the bag and bunny in one hand. He wordlessly sat down next to me, our shoulders touching and our heads grazing each others. He reached for my hand and gave it a tight squeeze. I tried to ignore how is hand trembled. 

"Are you ready to go?" He whispered. 

No. I wanted to tell him no. Going home without my daughter caused me emotional and physical pain, and it was like my heart was being ripped out of my chest. I would never be ready to go home until I had Olivia back in my arms, but I nodded, very well knowing that I was lying to myself.