Chapter 13

Check out my new book, Unexpected! I think you'll really like it!

As soon as the words escaped his lips, it was as if everything came crashing down. Flashes of my baby girl ran through my head like a movie in fast-forward, and I collapsed onto my knees, continuous tears rolling down my cheek. 

"T-they don't know if it's h-her," Ross sobbed, collapsing onto his knees as well. "But they want us to head down to the morgue and identify the body."

"Identify?" I wailed. "They don't know if it's her or not?" 

He shook his head, his bottom lip quivering. "Detective Carson said that the body was disfigured," He swallowed and closed his eyes tightly. "W-we have to go see if it's her, Sky." 

I covered my mouth with my hand, muffling the sobs that were escaping. This couldn't be happening. My baby girl was not dead. There was no way she was dead. Ben wouldn't take her just to kill her. None of this made any sense. 

"We'll drive you." Riker quietly approached us, Rocky trailing behind him. Tears were evident in their eyes, but it was obvious that they didn't want them to fall. "Ross, give me your keys." 

Ross shook his head, slowly getting to his feet before helping me. "I-I ran here. Let's just g-go and get this over with." 

I remained silent through the entire car ride, no more tears rolling down my cheeks, but the stains apparent. I stared out the window and watched the trees and other cars fly by before the sign for the hospital came into view. My stomach flipped and turned as I realized what was happening. 

We were about to identify a little girl that could possibly be my daughter. 

Once the car was parked, the four of us climbed out and made our way to the front of the hospital, where Detective Carson was patiently waiting. We didn't bother greeting each other, and he just led us down to the morgue. 

The place where my baby could possibly be with other dead bodies. 

When we reached the floor of the morgue, the atmosphere completely changed. We were tense and nervous before coming here, but now we were afraid. Afraid that our innocent little girl was laying out on a cold table with a blanket covered over her body.

Just as Ross and I were about to walk inside with Detective Carson, I suddenly stepped back, my chest heaving up and down rapidly. Carson looked at me with curiosity, and Ross looked at me with concern.

"I-I can't go in there." I stammered, shaking my head. "I-I...I j-just...Don-"

"You don't have to go in." Ross interrupted softly, gripping my shoulders. Staring into my eyes, he gave me a slight nod. "I can go in alone, okay? You can stay out here with Riker and Rocky."

I didn't want him going in there alone, but I couldn't fathom the idea of identifying a little girl that could be mine. So without uttering a word, I just nodded and gently squeezed his hand, a silent motion of encouragement.

Once Detective Carson and Ross were in the morgue, I backed up into the wall and clenched my eyes shut, ignoring the obvious stares Riker and Rocky were giving me. It was obvious that they hadn't forgotten the conversation we had just a little bit ago. But I didn't want to bring that up, especially with Ross here.

I never wanted him to find out the thoughts that had been swimming around in my mind.

"She's still alive. She's not dead." I muttered, clenching and unclenching my fists, my fingernails creating moon shaped crescents in the palm of my hand.

It felt like an eternity passed before the door opened and both men walked out, grim looks on their faces. My heart immediately stopped as I caught sight of Ross' face. Tears stained his cheeks, his hair was ragged, and his eyes were red.