CHAPTER 11: ARE YOU STILL WILLING TO RISK IT ALL?

Xi Prime Holdings is one of the largest conglomerates in Southeast Asia comprising different subsidiaries spanning to different business areas, including real estate and hotels. One subsidiary under it is the Xi Land Corporation or XLC that manages and develops their hotels, real estate and properties. Two of their most famous luxury hotel chains are the Grand Almira Hotels (which was only recently launched ten years ago but became an instant and huge success) and the Emperor Hotels and Resorts, an older chain.

Sa Grand Almira Hotel ginanap nakaraan ang kaarawan ni Tita Mira, ang ina ni Ivan, at kung saan din kami nagkakilala. Ngayon, he brought me to another one of their hotel chains, sa Emperor Hotels and Resorts, which is far more luxurious compared to Grand Almira as top celebrities, business tycoons, politicians and other well-known figures could only ever afford to check in.

We entered the restaurant inside the hotel and just like my experience when we went to Tita Mira's party, it was like I got transported to a whole other world of grand and luxury filled with bright lights as everything was literally sparkling from the ceilings and chandeliers to the polished marbled floors.

Napalunok ako sa karangyaang pumapaligid sa akin. Para sa orihinal na Catherine, paniguradong balewala lang para sa kaniya ang ganito dahil ito ang nakasanayan at nakalakihan niya.

But I'm not the real and original Catherine. I'm just an imposter from a humble background that's not used to this type of setting.

If I was still Yara, I am 100% sure I wouldn't be able to go to and experience a place like this. Hell, much more even know that a place for the wealthy like this exists.

This feels all too much... how can someone, rather a family, can have this so much money? This doesn't feel real at all. It's like I'm in a dream.

I mentally scoffed at myself.

"Catherine?"

Bahagya akong nagitla nang maramdaman kong pinasadahan ni Ivan ng hawak ang kamay kong nakapatong sa lamesa.

Kasalukuyan kaming nakaupo sa isang lamesa sa tabi ng floor-to-ceiling windows. Through the windows, the cityscape welcomed our view. We're currently eating our appetizers of Duck Confit Spring Rolls and Smoked Salmon bites as we wait for our main dish. Kasusubo ko lang ng smoked salmon at 'di ko napansin na natulala pala ako.

When I raised my eyes at him, he was looking at me with a worried expression, "Are you alright?"

I could feel my cheeks heating up before averting my gaze. Damn, that was embarassing.

"I-I'm alright," I couldn't help but stutter, "Sorry about that. I just thought of something. I'm sorry, were you saying something?"

Naramdaman ko ang pagkabog ng aking dibdib nang marinig ko ang mahinang pagtawa niya na nakahahalina, "It's alright. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask, hmm? I'll give you anything."

Napakagat ako ng labi ng muli nanamang pinasadahan ng kamay niya ang kamay kong nasa lamesa. Is it just me or... maybe he wants to hold my hand? Or am I just being delusional?

Malalim akong napabuntunghininga bago umayos ng upo, "Bigla ko lang naalala yung nakaraan... when we saw each other by chance at the apartment building? Was it an apartment building?"

His face lightened up after hearing that, "When you were with Lionel, right? He's your brother?"

"Uh-huh."

"I was going to ask you about that," he smiled, "What were you doing there at that time? You looked like you were running away from something too."

"Ah," I awkwardly laughed, "That's..."

Kinuwento ko sa kaniya yung nangyari simula lang sa napunta kami ni Leo sa isang hindi pamilyar na lugar at daan dahil sa kapabayaan ko hanggang sa nakarating kami dun sa loob ng building at nakasalamuha siya. He was listening earnestly kaya hindi ko napigilang mahiya sa loob-looban ko but I still did my best to tell my story.

While we were talking, our orders of Prime Rib and mashed potatoes for him and Delmonico and mashed potatoes for my side dish as well arrived.

"Oh, I see..." tumango-tango siya nang matapos ako magkuwento. While elegantly slicing his dish, he said, "That place is really teeming with troublemakers. I'll need to take care of them."

Napataas ako ng kilay nang hindi ko narinig yung huling sinabi niya dahil bigla niyang hininaan ang kaniyang boses, "What was that?"

"O-oh, nothing," he shook his head, "I'm glad you were safe though. You should avoid going to places like that, it's dangerous."

"Hmm," pagsang-ayon ko, "May I also ask what were you doing at that building at the time? Does your family also own that property?"

"No, we don't. I just came there to do some... business."

I nodded my head after taking a bite and swallowing my food, "That explains it. But it was such a coincidence, 'no?"

"I don't think it was a coincidence though."

I slightly pouted my lips, "You don't?"

"Yeah," he placed his utensils on top of his plate, "Anyways, you're not going to ask what kind of business I was dealing with at the time?"

My brows slightly furrowed, "You're gonna tell me what it is?"

The corner of his lips turned up. He slightly leaned forward, eyes directly meeting mine, "You... are aware of the dirty matters involved in our businesses, right?"

After he asked that, I realized what he meant.

That's a rather direct way of asking about it.

I lowered my tone, "Underground activities?"

As I was staring at his face, I witnessed how his cheeks reddened a little before he looked back at his plate, "Yeah, I was there at the time because of that."

My grip on my utensils slightly tightened, "Is it fine for you to tell me this?"

Once again, he raised his gaze back at me, "I certainly think it's more than fine."

I held my breath. What does he mean by that?

Just when I was about to ask him, a loud explosion boomed from the back of the restaurant where the kitchen is located.

All the customers turned to look at the commotion and stood up in a panic, including us.

"A-ano yun?" kinakabahan kong tanong.

Through the small, circular windows of the door of the kitchen, I see something that's colored dark grey clouding inside.

Smoke? Is there a fire?

"Catherine," Ivan called and before I knew it, he was already pulling me by the arm to get out of the restaurant along with the other customers.

For some reason, I have a bad feeling about this. Or am I just overthinking it?

As I stared at Ivan's back as he quickly pulled me outside to safety, I thought...

No. I might not be overthinking about this.