CHAPTER 37: TELL ME.

The next day, I woke up then sent a text message to Ivan. I told him we could talk tonight. He said he felt reassured and fine. After our small text conversation, I went on my way.

Today, I've decided to be more diligent with my studies para mabawi ko yung mga absent ko.

Thankfully, today was a success and nothing special happened during the morning and afternoon classes. Everything was going well, even with Josie... until my afterschool activity.

Dapat ay nagka-ideya na ako nang tinanong ako ni Luca kahapon kung ako ba yung Presidente ng Taekwondo Club ng school.

But seriously, I would've never even thought of him joining the club (or any other clubs).

In the novel, at Westwood, he was never interested in joining school clubs because he found it tiresome and a burden.

But him sitting behind me right now inside the Taekwondo club room while smiling widely is a great contradiction to that.

"Such an honor to meet you, former Ms. Pres," bulong niya sa likod ko. Kahit hindi ko siya nililingon, alam ko kung gaano nakakapang-asar ang ngisi niya ngayon.

'It seems like someone lost their way to the Losers Club,' was what I wanted to say but being the former President right now and being with our twenty members (five of which are new including him), I knew I had to be professional and make a good first impression because I'm fully aware of the glances they're throwing at me. I won't let him provoke me.

"Good morning, everyone!" Ms. Jennifer Jones, the club head instructor smiled, standing in front of everyone. Me along with the other former club officers from the previous academic year sat on the first row.

"Good morning!" we all greeted back in unison.

"I'm Ms. Jennifer Jones, Golden Oak High School's Taekwondo Club's Head Instructor and I welcome you all to our first official club meeting this year!"

Lahat naman sila'y nagpalakpakan.

Tulad ng kaniyang sinabi ay ngayon ang unang opisyal na pagpupulong namin ngayong bagong school year. Orientation lang naman ngayon (pagdiscuss ng mga patakaran, oras at panahon ng training per week, events calendar, etc.) at eleksyon para sa mga bagong officers for this school year.

I was already expecting to be nominated and win as the club President kahit na-nominate rin si Luca at naging magkalaban pa kami--at kaming dalawa lang talaga. Out of twenty members, lamang ako sa kaniya ng tatlong boto. With me winning this year, this makes it Catherine's 3rd year streak (there is no limit to the executive's term).

Ang hindi ko inaasahan ay si Luca ang mananalo bilang Vice President! I wanted to go against it pero wala naman talaga akong valid reason maliban sa ayaw ko lang sa kaniya kaya nanahimik at hinayaan ko na lang (na may kasamang palihim na sama ng tingin sa kaniya tapos ay kinindatan niya lang ako pabalik).

Ano ba talagang trip niya sa buhay? Kailangan niya ba talagang sumali sa club na ito gayong paniguradong may private martial arts training naman siya?

Nagpapasalamat na lang ako na mukha naman siyang matino at nagpapakapormal pag kinakailangan tulad ngayon. Since we won, we ended up leading the rest of the meeting and I'm quite surprised to see his 'responsible side'.

At least he's taking this seriously.

After the meeting, the newly elected officers had to have a follow-up talk with Ms. Jones about our responsibilities and upcoming activities before we finish up.

"Since we have new members, we're going to have to update the inventory," I told Emily, the club's Equipment Chair as my eyes bored into the lockers behind the club room kung saan nakalagay ang mga equipment namin, "I've already checked through the past year's inventory and we will need to add and replace some items. Kai," I called to our treasurer.

He stepped forward, "Yes, Pres?"

"We're gonna have to talk with..." I glanced quickly at the Vice President standing beside me then back to him, "With him, about the budget and see how much we can allocate to purchase equipment. If it's not enough, I'll contact Athletics Works so we can borrow. Are you free tomorrow after class?"

"Yes, Pres."

"Good. We'll have to arrange this as early as possible since we're already planning to hold a practice tournament against Willow High School in the next two weeks," I looked at our Chair for Tournaments and Events, Scarlett at tinanguan niya naman ako, nakukuha ang pinaparating ko.

"I'm already on it, Pres," she confirmed, "I'll also be doing a canvass of other centers and studios where we can train since the school gym is already reserved and packed with the ball clubs."

I nodded at her, "If you need help, just give me their contacts. It would be ideal if we get the 7pm schedule of Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays."

"Yes, Pres."

Other than that, we talked more about other agendas that needed to be discussed. Mga 5:40 pm na nang matapos kami.

Nakalabas na ako ng club room at naglalakad na sa hallway palabas ng building dahil naghihintay na ang driver namin roon para sunduin ako, pero hindi pa rin ako tinatantanan ng ulupong nitong naglalakad din sa tabi ko kung kaya't pinagtitinginan kami.

Two students who are well-known to be rivals are walking together? Who would've thought? Is the world ending already!?

"Don't you think you've had enough with pestering me for the day?" nakasimangot ko siyang binalingan, "Can't get enough of me?"

He faked a gasp, "Are you flirting with me even though you have a boyfriend?"

"I meant it in a 'Is your life so meaningless and pointless that you don't have other better things to do than bother me?' way."

He laughed, "I think the purpose of my life is to bother you, and I don't think I'll ever have enough."

I rolled my eyes at him, "Might as well just kill yourself," I spat in anger.

"Hey, that's mean."

Natahimik ako't nagpatuloy sa paglalakad.

Okay, he's right. That was mean.

I nibbled with my lower lip. I think I was too irritated with him that I wasn't able to control my mouth and started spewing random shit without thinking.

Nakalabas na kami ng building and below the marble staircase, there I saw our car and our family driver standing beside the door, waiting for me.

I stopped for a while on top of the stairs, and surprisingly (still), Luca did as well.

Malalim akong napabuntunghininga sa loob ng aking isipan.

"Sorry," I said, without looking at him because I was too embarrassed to do so, "I take back what I said. Don't kill yourself. Live a good life."

Then I walked down the stairs, without looking back, not knowing the kind of expression he had on his face as I got inside the car then we drove away.