Part 8- Defending him

after Stella finally left the room, Stolas continued to stare at the newspapers with a blank expression, taking more sips of his drink. you felt sympathy for him, as he had to hold the grunge and suffering with this woman through his life. you could see on him he looked constantly tired. however, since he met you, it appears some hope was still left in him.

"you can come out now. she is gone." he spoke to you quietly after a sigh, not even looking to your direction. to his permission, you slowly came out of your hiding place, your fingers fidgeting. "I am so sorry, Stolas. I never knew she was this bad!" you talked softly, trying to get his gaze, yet unsuccessfully. the owl simply let out a single breathy chuckle, before taking another sip. "oh, this was nothing. with time, this behavior already grew on me" he replied to you.

once he finally looked over to you, he realized your massive worry for him. his tired expression sooned changed into a wide eyed one, before giving you a reassuring smile. "but..! of course, I never really wish she could be different. I don't love her as people think I do. I already have plans of divorce!" he explained softly to you.

you looked at him surprised, yet at least glad he doesn't feel as if he's chained to her. "but... didn't you say it was your duty to marry her? what would your royal family say?" you asked him concerningly. the owl's mouth opened, only to slowly close again. he looked down at the newspapers, frowning. "by this point... I don't care what any of them think" he answered to your question. "a royal life is concidered to be wonderful. but I do wish sometimes I could break free from it. with all my duties, I only have a few days a week to spend quality time with my little starfire" he showed a small smile as Octavia came to his mind. you could guess Octavia was his only source of happiness he had during the times of marriage. knowing that she's now in her room sleeping, safe and sound, was all he needed.

a moment of silence was accuring between the two of you, as you realized how much of a good father he is trying to be to his daughter, making you smile lightly. 

"what will you do if you ever.. I mean, decide to break free from royal life?" you asked him. he looked at you with wonder, thinking for a couple of seconds. "well... have a 'normal' life" he replied simply. "of course, I couldn't give up on my palace, my plants, my gems.. and of course, my daughter. I shall inherit it all to her once she is old enough. but besides that... I wish I could silence all the pressure that has been put on me.." he told you softly.

you nodded in understanding. but still, felt a little knot in your stomach. "and.. what about me?" 

he looked at you with quite the surprise. you widened your eyes and blushed heavily. why on earth did you ask that?? he literally met you yesterday! even though he satisfied your... lustful needs that night, it's not an excuse for straight up thinking of a future with him right away..! right?

"well I..." the owl began to hesitate on his reply on your question. however, his frustration was saved by a tiny imp butler coming into the room, holding a book of contacts. he had a hairline similar to Gaston (beauty and the beast), and a german mustach on his plain face. "your highness. I am here to give you a reminder about your meeting with-" his sentence got cut off by the view of you, there in the kitchen. both the owl and you widened your eyes with fear. 

"who is that.. your highness?" the little imp asked with a frown, pointing at you. you froze, looking at the owl. Stolas only opened his mouth, forcing a smile while thinking of a reply. "that! is a new.. assistant! that I hired. to help me with my work!" Stolas replied, each sentence was faster than the other. "one of my royal relatives have suggested her to me!"

the imp's frown only grew deeper, his yellowish eyes shrinking with suspect, before showing a serious expression. "your highness, an assistant should NOT be allowed to be at your presence when you are at your robe. surely you know that! and a sinner? I do believe very well that a sinner is not considered a good option for a royal deal! have you even made sure she is trustable??" he asked the prince, which was getting more and more anxious by the minute. "I shall inform her highness, Stella about-"

"No!!" you let out in panic, your arms extending at him. the imp widened his eyes at you, and so did Stolas. however, one was pleased with your sudden burge, and the other didn't. 

"I-I mean.. there is certeinly not need to inform her" you fixed your voice, now putting your arms behind your back. "as an assistant of prince Stolas, I can share my information myself to her." you spoke to him as calmly as you could. "I do not seek anyone to do it for me"

the butler showed a grump at your reply, raising a finger to speak, yet you cut him off. "and AS an assistant of a previous royal decendent, I know for a fact that a butler like yourself should not 'educate' a prince about royalty, now would you?" you asked him, raising your chin along with your eyebrows. you had no idea what had gotten into you, but you seem pretty confident about what you were saying.

the imp, hesitated, looking down a little, before returning his eyes to you. "I had no wish to disparage his highness's logic of his duties. but having you here without authority around is against the royal name! what even is your name?"

"my name is (y/n). I was a previous assistance of a prince that his name shall not be mentioned, as it is unrelavant" you spoke with a more confident voice. "I assure you, I have the authority to be at Stolas's side. and assure that.. Stella shall be-" "her highness" the butler firmly corrected you. you hid your nervousness. "yes. her highness, that she shall be informed by me!"

the butler looked at you two for a minute, before finally giving up and buying up the story. "very well. I shall leave it to you then. her highnessmust be informed since the marriage of the prince and her have included her in his duties and authorities. anything he does or she does, must be informed to the both of them" he spoke, before turning and leaving the room.

the owl leaned to make sure the imp left completely, before looking at you with a beam on his face. "you were fantastic..!" he whispered to you. you relaxed your posture, smiling at him happily. "I don't know how I did that..! I never had a buisness or... big royal talk before!" you excused with a chuckle. "well whatever you did just saved us both. for now at least" he smiled at you. 

you nodded, smiling back. however, a frown appeared on your face right after that. "but wait.. what about your daughter?" 

"she is never a threat! I am sure she will accept you without any false stories. but for now.." he sighed. "I need you to stay in your room for the rest of the morning. a.. damn party is about to be hosted and I have to be there"

you rose your eyebrows, before grumping as well, despite knowing staying in the room will be a safe choice for yo- wait. did he say your room?