Chapter 1

A tattoo of rain pattered against the cool glass of the Hogwarts Express compartment, the sound soothing, repetitive, constant. Predictable. It was almost reassuring, in a way.

Ominis sat alone, his head resting against the glass, his eyes closed, his chin propped in his hand, listening intently to the rain as it tippered against the glass, audible over the hissing steam and thundering wheels of the enormous train. He took slow, steady breaths, the knuckles of his free hand tight in his lap, the tenseness in his arm the only indication that he was anything but asleep.

He hadn't slept at all in the last two days, and even still, it seemed to elude him. The corners of his mouth turned down as the memories rose up again, and with them came the prickling sense of disgust, fear and pain that made him want to leap to his feet and claw his skin off.

But he remained where he was, listening to the rain as his heart launched itself against his ribs, his fist beginning to tremble just a little as his body tightened, his brow beginning to crease, drawing the slender ridges together.

Only a few more hours. That's all. Just hold on until then.

Only a few more hours until he was back at Hogwarts, as far from his family as he could possibly get unless he left the country, which was precisely what he was planning to do the moment he graduated. Only a few more hours until he was back with his best friend in the whole world, Sebastian Sallow, and Sebastian's girlfriend, Claire Crooks, the Hero of Hogwarts, a Ravenclaw.

They'd spent the summer in Feldcroft with Anne, and as such, had no need to be on the Hogwarts Express. Indeed, Ominis had spent time with them too, intending to relive the summers of their youth with his two best friends and one extra, but the little cottage was awfully full with the four of them and the live-in Healer there to care for Anne. For Anne was still cursed, still in pain, and though through trial and error, St Mungo's had learned the best way to manage it, it wasn't ideal.

Ominis sighed. He'd overstayed his welcome three days into the holidays, it seemed. Though Anne was delighted to have him nearby, and Sebastian laughed and laughed, claiming it was just like old times, Claire had made the gentle suggestion that perhaps it was just that little bit too crowded. Ever the gentleman, Ominis had elected to leave them to it, despite the Sallows' protestations.

He'd wandered a while, exploring the country with what means he was able to, visiting York and Cornwall and Warwickshire, amongst others. Yes, it was somewhat lonely, but he was used to solitude. He filled his days by joining a few muggle tours of the historical places he visited. He almost smiled. His family would be furious if they knew he did that, walking among them like he was one of them.

His heart jolted painfully again, and he threw his mind away from the memories. He'd stopped in Feldcroft again three days ago, when Claire, standing on the doorstep and in the way until Sebastian had barrelled her aside to embrace his best friend, told him that they won't be joining him at Platform Nine and Three Quarters this year, as they were close enough to Hogwarts as it was. He heard the cheer in her voice when she told him they'd see him at the castle in a few days.

"Hang on, Ominis can stay with us, travel with us!" Sebastian had protested.

"Sebastian, don't be silly, I don't want to deprive him of the last journey to Hogwarts on the train!" she'd laughed. "Don't be selfish, now."

A little confused, Ominis had wandered to the edge of the little hamlet. He'd only had one place left to visit, one that he'd rather been hoping to avoid, indeed had been hoping the excuse of staying with Sebastian and Anne would be excuse enough to do so. He'd travelled straight to Gaunt Manor to gather the few effects he owned there, and-