5. Hina Tai.

"YOU'RE GOING ON A DATE?!" Hina screamed, their eyes opening as wide as saucers. "HOW?!" Their mouth opened and closed like a goldfish. 

"Wouldn't you like to know~" Y/N winked at the game system floating over her shoulder as she closed her apartment door and locked it. "Why don't you come along, that way you can see who I asked out." She said with a smug grin. 

"You KNOW I'm coming along!" The game system puffed out their cheeks indignantly as they trailed behind her. "I have to know which of the love interests was willing to go on a date with you even though you have such an unnatural personality, kinky player."

"You'll see~" her smirk widened as she began walking through the city with Hina in toe. 

Y/N ignored Hina's constant pestering during they're walk. She kept her lips tightly sealed, no matter how many times they begged to know the identity of her date. Only after they had arrived at a corner cafe and taken their seats did she reveal that there was no one meeting her. 

"WHAT?!" the exclaimed, shooting up into the air, a look of comical shock on their face.

"Surprise!" Y/N grinned cheekily,  "You're the person I'm going on a date with." She cupped her hands over her ears in preparation for the volley of shouting that was about to come.

"BUT I'M NOT A ROMANCIABLE CHARACTER IN THE GAME!!!" The game program glitched out in the seat across from her as they tried to process her statement. twitching and flashing in and out of sight for several moments before returning to their normal appearance.

"We'll see about that~" she winked flirtatiously before growing more serious, "only teasing. I honestly just wanted to spend some one-on-one time with you to get to know you better, and that wouldn't be possible unless you thought I was going on a date with one of the love interests."

"Well that's true…" Hina sulked, puffing out their cheeks but never the less agreeing with her statement. 

"Awwww, don't be salty." She rolled her eyes playfully, picking up her menu and sliding the other one across the table to them, "So what would you like to eat?"

"You know no one else can see or here me, right Y/N?" They deadpanned. 

"That doesn't matter," she shrugged, an indifferent smile on her face. "I'll just order for you."

"But everyone else will think you're ordering two meals for yourself… their violet eyes drifted down to their lap, ashamed at the thought of asking the heroine to do something so unheroine-like when it was supposed to be their job to make her conform. 

"I don't care," she grinned reassuringly as she flagged down the waitress. "HEY- can I get one deluxe breakfast and one strawberry waffle stack, thank you." She handed over the menus with a casual wink.

The waitress winked back and blushed while writing down the order, then she left again. 

"Thank you…" Hina mumbled, surprised by Y/N's behavior and the unfamiliar feeling of heat rising into their cheeks. 

"Awww, is that a blush!" She leaned across the table, ruffling their two-tone hair teasingly, "I didn't know you were capable of blushing."

"Shut up!" They swatted her hand away like a cat, crossing their arms and huffing. 

Y/N retracted her hand with a shrug, not wanting to antagonize Hina more than she already had.

Small bouts of conversation punctuated the silence while the pair waited for the waitress to return with their food. Even when the waitress returned, laidened down with two large portions of breakfast food, things remained quiet. Only after she left did Y/N start a meaningful conversation.

"So tell me more about yourself," Y/N asked with a mouthful of egg, "What's it like being a game program?"

"It's easy enough, I can manipulate anything in the world," they said with a touch of pride before giving her a side eye, "I shouldn't have to if a certain kinky player would just follow the script." They added passive aggressively.

"Yeah yeah, I know, save the lecture." She ignored their attempt to get under her skin and continued asking questions, "What are your dreams?"

"Too see the player happily in a S&M relationship with one of the love interests!" Their violet eyes lit up in an instant as a genuine smile stretched their androgynous features. "I exist to make sure the player reaches the end they want," the puffed up their chest, pleased by how important they were to the player. 

"That's sad," her brows knit together at their words, "don't you have anything you want to achieve for yourself, not this stupid game world with predesentened endings?" She pressed. 

"No, I- how could I?" Hina stammered, taken by surprise at her question. "All I know is what exists inside this game world…" they mumbled, curious for the first time what the world outside the game may be like. 

"I'm sorry for pushing the issue," Y/N backed off, not wanting to make them any more uncomfortable. "and I'm sorry your dreams won't come true because I'm the heroine," she felt a twinge of sadness knowing she was in-between them and their dream. 

The pair sat in awkward silence after that until the waitress returned with the bill and Y/N reached out to pay for it, "You don't have to pay for all this Y/N," Hina materialized a stack of cash in their hand, "I can take care of it-"

"Nonsense!" She made a shooing gesture towards the money as she carefully placed her own on the table, "Tricked you into eating with me, I'll pay for it." She grinned cheekily across the table. 

"You're nothing like the heroine," they mumbled, their gaze fixed in their lap as they felt the unfamiliar feeling of their heart pounding in their chest and heat rising into their face. 

A/N

Ooooooo, things seem to be heating up between Y/N and Hina. Who else is excited?

Until next time, I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~