6. The Problem with Brothers.

"Here you go Y/N, I hope you enjoy," Motokazu smiled carringly at her as he slid a bento box across the table to her.

"What's this Zu-Zu?" She tilted her head, setting aside the bowl of white rice that was her staple lunch.

"Every single day you eat nothing but rice, it's not healthy, so I decided to make you lunch!" He glared at the rice as though it had personally murdered his dog before returning his attention to her, the glare vanishing at once.

"Thank you!" She excitedly removed the lid, her high spirits faltering when she spotted the abysmal food within. "This looks… like you put a lot of work into it." She finally said after struggling to find a polite reaction to the content of the bento.

"See Y/N, this is what happens when you don't act like the heroine," Hina's face wrinkled up in disgust as they observed the crusty eggs and soggy vegetables in the box over her shoulder, "you get characters doing things they were never meant to."

They continued to grumble about the status quo, but Y/N tooned them out.

"I hope it's good," Motokazu mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck subconsciously. He was acutely aware of Y/N's gaze on him and it made him feel as though there was something inside his stomach trying to wiggle its way out. "I've never cooked before…"

"It's the thought that counts," she gave him a genuine smile before taking a bite of food, touched by his efforts despite the sub par cuisine.

. . .

"Y/N?! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!" Motokazu shouted as he ran after Y/N, struggling to keep pace with her, "WHY DO YOU DITCH ME AFTER SCHOOL EVERY SINGLE DAY?!" He shouted, practically running to stay close to her despite his longer legs.

"Ugh- did you follow me without my permission?" She grumbled, looking over her shoulder to confirm that it was indeed her over protective neighbor. "That's pretty creepy, you know that?" She added in a half joking tone.

"I didn't mean to be creepy, but I need to make sure you're safe!!!" His face flushed hotly with embarrassment and he continued to follow her. "You mean the world to me- where are you going Y/N?!" He sputtered as he saw her opening the door to a martial arts gym.

"To workout, duh," she deadpanned.

"But-but-" he stumbled over his words and his feet as he followed her inside, horrified by the presence of several large muscular men decorated with a variety of tattoos. "you can't be serious Y/N, this is ridiculous!!!"

"Relax!!! I know what I'm doing!" He rolled her eyes at his paranoia. Her expression lit up when she caught sight of a short stocky man, with a black dragon tattoo, her usual training partner. "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Snow White, how's it going?!" She called out to him as she began stuffing her things into her locker.

"I just got off a graveyard shift," He huffed, but nevertheless smiled at the familiar face. His smile fell when he noticed the lanky student behind her, openly glaring. "Who's this guy Honeytrap, is he bothering you?" He asked, crossing his arms as he flexed them over his chest.

"Nahhhhhhhh, he's fine-" Y/N waved a hand  dismissively but before she could say another word she was grabbed by the wrist and yanked back. "HEY! WHAT THE HELL?!" She shouted as she was suddenly being dragged away at breakneck pace.

She fought against Motokazu's surprisingly strong grip as she was pulled along out of the gym and down the street, and managed to break free once they were over a block away.

"WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ZU-ZU?!" She spat, shoving him away angrily.

"I'M PROTECTING YOU Y/N!!!" He shouted back, clearly angry. "That den of roided up thugs is no place for a girl like you!!! DIDN'T YOU HEAR WHAT HE CALLED YOU?!"

"EXCUSE YOU?!" She was now more offended than anything. What gave him the right to decide what was and wasn't acceptable in her life? "I can decide for myself where I belong and what nicknames I'm comfortable with! The guys at the gym respect my boundaries better than you do!!!"

"But-but- Y/N I," he visibly drew back, shocked by her words.

"Don't talk to me until you're ready to apologize for trying to make my decisions for me!" She stormed past him, leaving him standing dumbfounded on the sidewalk.

"Y/N…" he murmured her name far too softly for anyone to hear as he watched her walk away, a dull aching in his chest. They never used to fight.

. . .

"Y/N, please talk to me," Motokazu begged the following day over lunch, tired of the silent treatment he had been receiving, "I did it for your own good." He added, trying to justify his actions.

She turned her head away, eating her white rice and making a point to ignore the bento box he had slid across the table to her.

"It's my responsibility to protect you, I would never forgive myself if something bad happened to you," He continued to justify his actions, his freckled face twisted into a look of concern. "But I'm sorry if my protecting you makes you feel like I'm controlling you."

"You are," Y/N snapped so quickly it made him jump, "you're welcome to have whatever opinion of my hobbies you like, but when you bodily drag me away you ARE CONTROLLING ME." She openly glared across the table at him, as she berated his actions.

"Y/N…" He was at a loss for anything else to say, shaken at the sight of his childhood friend so upset.

"Don't you think you're being too harsh on him for what he did?" Hina suggested. They had been scolding her most of the day for her silent treatment of her next door neighbor.

"Save it," She spat at him, forgetting  that there was someone else at the table to hear her words. "I don't want to hear your attempts to sugar coat it."

"I'm sorry…" Tears glistened in Motokazu's brown eyes and he quickly looked away, "I never meant to upset you like this-"

"L/N," A deep voice spoke from behind them, "is this your boyfriend, who decided it was smart to pull that kind of stunt on my turf."

"He's not my boyfriend," Y/N answered at once. She turned to see Yoshiari Kuroda looming over them with a menacing scowl, his athletic build straining against his school uniform.

"Good,"he leaned in close, his breath hot against her neck, "he's far too insecure to be with you."

A/N

Ooooooooooooooo! Sorry-not-sorry for the cliff hanger ^~^

Until next time I'll see you on the other sides

~J. C. Coltt.~