002

The sky was pitch black, sprinkled with stars. A chilly winter breeze blew through the air. The few leaves that were left on the trees rustled. No cars passed by at this hour.

Wonwoo held his books under one arm, trying to distance himself from Mingyu. But with the narrow sidewalks, it was nearly impossible.

"This way?" asked Mingyu.

Wonwoo nodded. "You realize you could just let me lead, right?"

"Well, you know how this neighborhood is at night. I wouldn't want you to get hurt." said Mingyu.

Wonwoo chuckled, amused. "Trust me, I won't get hurt. I can't get hurt."

Mingyu frowned. What did he mean by that? Everyone could get hurt.

But he decided not to question it. After all, what did he know? They'd only just met.

"Take a left at this corner." added Wonwoo, pointing ahead. Mingyu nodded and did as he was told.

"Do your parents know you were out?"

"Well, more or less." said Wonwoo, shrugging.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" asked Mingyu. The more this boy spoke, the more confused Mingyu was getting.

"Don't worry about it. That's my house, right up ahead." said Wonwoo. "My parents will probably be asleep, so you can just leave me here. I wouldn't want to bother them. Are you sure you'll be alright walking home alone?"

"I'll be fine. You should get straight to bed." said Mingyu. "I'll leave you here, then. And, uh... good night, Wonwoo."

Wonwoo gave a small smile. "Good night, Mingyu. Sleep well."

As the tall boy walked away, Wonwoo stood there for a moment, lost in his thoughts. This boy... he had to get closer to Mingyu. He knew why, but he didn't want to believe it.

So he ran after him, not caring about the social awkwardness that would follow. "Mingyu, wait! I have to ask you something!"

Mingyu turned around, confused. "What is it?"

"Can I... have your number?"

If Mingyu was confused before, it was nothing compared to now. "My number? Why?"

"Well..." Wonwoo wasn't sure how to explain this. "I enjoyed your company. I want to talk with you as often as life allows. Is that okay?"

Mingyu hesitated. "Alright, fine."

He pulled a pen and a crumpled paper out of his pocket and scribbled down his phone number. "Here. Text me tomorrow, okay? I have school tomorrow, but I can talk in the morning."

Wonwoo nodded. "Okay. You should get home now. Good night, Mingyu."

He stared after him again, still a bit dazed. He couldn't believe what had happened. No one had ever done that before. And that was because...

A car honked somewhere in the distance, snapping Wonwoo out of his reverie. He sighed and retreated to his room, where no one even knew he existed.

***

He woke in a cold sweat, as always. Just another part of being who he was.

Wonwoo sat up slowly and reached for his phone. No one had texted him, which wasn't surprising. Mingyu was probably still asleep.

Nevertheless, he opened his Messages app and typed something into the text box.

Wonwoo: Hey this is Wonwoo from last night, did you get home safely?