Chapter fourteen

I just laid there. Snuggled up against Nobel. We just laid there on the river bank. His arm tucked under my head and our bodies pressed against each other. Even though before I tried to act like nothing was happening between us something was. I felt Noble's chest rise and fall with each breath. Neither one of us has spoken a word since I mentioned my sister. The comfortable silence was eating away at me.

"Do you believe in heaven?" I finally broke the silence. My eyes fixated on the night sky. It was one in the morning now.

"I do. Not sure if I believe full heartly but I do" his voice was soft. I could tell by his tone his eyes where close and he was thinking about sleep.

"I think I do" I answered my own question.

"You think?" I could practically hear his eyebrow raise. I rolled my eyes before sitting up. I looked down at Nobel who was watching me with a smirk on his lips.

"Yes. I believe in God and heaven because if I don't believe in something then I don't have anything. I have to believe. It's not a choice for me" I whispered the last sentence as I looked out to the river.

I never admitted that to any one really besides Jen. I felt a hand gently grab my wrist. Turning my head I spotted Nobel leaning on his elbows.

"Where's your parents?" He asked. My breath caught in my throat.

It was a simple question. A innocent question. A question I wasn't asked very much. I was twenty two years old. Living on my own and doing my own thing. Most people don't ask where your parents are at this age. Most just assume their around somewhere.

"Dead. My dad...He uh" I paused.

"My dad was in the Army. He died two years before my sister over seas. My mom on the other hand died a month after my sister's funeral in a car crash. Sooo...it's just me and Jen" I looked over at Nobel. His eyes seemed sad.

I could see his mind working hard at figuring out what to say. He didn't need to say anything. There was nothing he could say that I haven't already heard before.

"If you don't mind...how did your sister die?" Nobel glanced at me out of the corner of his eye. I took in a big breath. Gosh I haven't told anyone this since the funeral.

"Shooting accident. Her ex boyfriend somehow talked her into going hunting with him. I don't think it was an accident. I think he purposely shot her. But everyone believes the man with the gun instead of the grieving sister" I shrugged my shoulders as if it wasn't big deal.

But that's the thing. It was a big deal. I heard the story. I heard what happened. But what no one in the court saw the smirk on that man's face. As soon as the judge rolled it over as not guilty they realised the handcuffs. My sister's ex boyfriend looked over at me. His back to the judge and only me being able to see. A evil smile crossed his face. The simple sign showing me that he had just got a free ride. He killed my sister. I know he did. He hated the fact she never loved him. He hated that other men that looked at her. But what he hated the most was that she was engaged to a real man. A man she truely did love. The only witness being himself since he killed the other one it was easy for the judge to roll it out as an accident. I knew in my bones he did the crime. I know he did.

"Liz?" My head snapped to attention at the sound of Nobel's voice.

I knew my eyes where full of tears. I could feel the lump forming deep down in my throat. I could see the blurry vision. My strong tough walls where slowly being torn apart. One brick at a time.

Nobel opened up his arms. With out a second though I threw myself into his chest. My silent tears soaking his t-shirt in seconds as my small frame molded into his strong frame. I hadn't cried in so long that it felt nice to let the emotions roll out of me. And with Nobel's arms wrapped securely around me I felt safe. Safe for the first time in forever.