| Forest |

I felt mentally drained and exhausted. Tormented by school assignment, approaching finals, and the new late night shifts that I was covering at the diner, I could have sworn I was going insane. I needed a different scenery other than the laptop screen and the diners counter tops covered with spilled coffee and pie crumbs.

I looked out of the window. The bright sun was hidden behind the dark clouds that were carrying a night of rain I presume.

"Hmm." I walked over to my closet and pulled my leggings and a T-shirt that had words that most would find inappropriate.

I slipped on my clothing and laced up my pink and black running Nike's. I ran down the stairs and out the front door of my two story three bedroom home.

Cool air was beginning to blow in, confirming the soon-to-come end of the summer. Good. Hot and sweaty air was never my forte I stuck my pink ear buds in to my ear and pushed the play button to my iPhone music list.

'Where Did You Come From Lady

And Ooh Won't You Take Me There

Right Away Won't You Baby

Tendoroni You've Got To Be

I swear nothing could beat the smooth rhythm of old school music, especially the music of the legend himself, Michael Jackson. I listened to the music drum into my ears as I ran down manor road. The cool air blew against my sweaty flesh as I began to think about my life.

Was I satisfied with my life? Would it get better? Where am I going to be in the future? I was always left thinking about my future and if it would be good. I'm twenty three years old and still felt as though I'm at square one.

My music stopped and an incoming call played an iPhone default ringtone.

"Hello?" I turned my running into a comfortable power walk.

"Mmm you sound good." A male's voice breathed into the other end.

"What a pervert." I chuckled, secretly blushing from the male on the other end of the line.

"You like it." He mumbled. "So what are you doing?"

"Running a little."

"Yeah. So you want to hang out later?" Joshua asked.

"Sorry. I got the night shift." I pouted.

"Damn. That's too bad." He croaked. "Maybe next time?"

"Maybe. I'll talk to you later?"

"Yeah." The phone call quickly ended.

Joshua was such a fucking tool. But I liked that tool. He and I have been dating for months and I believe it to be going pretty good. I can admit, working and school work has made it difficult for us to hang out as much as before but he has been somewhat understanding, which I appreciate. He supports me and my goals and I love that.

Smiling like a damn fool, I pushed play on my iPhone to resume the music. Then it hit me. The time. Unaware of how long I was out here, I realize that I had allowed time to pass me by and I was going to be late for my shift.

"Shit." I snapped.

Realizing that taking my normal direction would not help; I decided to take another path. On the edge of the forest's plain, was a small path that created a small shortcut that lead to my home.

I hated the forest path. It was too creepy for me but did I have any other option? I mean I couldn't be tardy again. My boss would not make an exception again.

I stood there, gawking at the mouth of the forest path. Hanging tree branches gave the forest a creepy chilling effect. A gust of cool air blew against my skin, leaving behind some chill bumps.

I pushed the play button on my IPhone and took off jogging into the mouth of the trees.

'Baby, baby won't you be mine'

I mumbled the lyrics to the song 'baby be mine' by Blackstreet. My music on low, I made sure to stay alert of my surroundings.

A clear view of the path was beginning to disappear into the shadows. The sun began to set slowly behind the tree tops. I cringed at the thought of being in here during the latest of hours.

Uninterested in seeing this place any longer, I began to pick up my pace to cut this run down to a shorter time.

Heaving and panting and covered in sweat, I began to slow my pace down to a light jog. I wanted to stop and walk but I just could not. Something in my mind was urging me to run. It just felt as though, and maybe I'm going crazy, that I was being watched from a distance.

I have to get the hell out of here. Ignoring the burning in my legs and chest, I picked up my speed once more.

My eyes on the darkening path ahead, I tried to clear my head, hoping to put the uneasy feeling away.

Then I spotted something. From the corner of my eyes, there was a shadow, a figure. A humanly figure. The tall figure stayed deep into the trees, making it almost impossible to see clearly. It looked to be running simultaneously with me. Its legs extending to keep up with my insane pace.

Deep in fear, I began to run faster, ignoring the tiring feeling that was creeping up my legs. I was out of energy but I just could not stop.

You ever sense someone so close that the hair on the back of your neck stand? The feeling of someone so close to catching you? Like some ones hand is only inches away from grabbing you? Well this was the feeling I was experiencing at the very moment. It was like a sixth sense for me.

My adrenaline began pumping when I noticed the light coming from the end of the pathway. The lights clearly coming from the opening that led to the streets. To people. To hope.

Pushing my weak and obviously drained body, I escaped the belly of the beast and made it onto the streets of Manor road.

I crossed the street and looked back at the mouth of the forest, panting, struggling to catch my breath.

Nothing.

The dark mouth greeted me with nothing but the shadow of the trees. I shrank at the thought of someone watching me, someone lurking, someone chasing me. I turned away and took off toward home to get ready for my night shift.