• 1 •

"Nakahara Chuuya, aka Grim Reaper #A5158, you have assigned Dazai Osamu after the recent incident revolving around Oda Sakunosuke, aka Grim Reaper #S72816." Mori, also known as the Grim Reaper boss, interlaced his gloved fingers and rested his mist head on the backs of his hands. Chuuya sighed as he leaned forward, feeling the restraints of his cloak's fabric. If he could show facial expressions as of right now, he would be grimacing in an ugly manner.

"What happened to Oda?"

"Grim Reaper #S72816 has been exiled to the overworld, the reasons are classified." Mori simply said, "you should be well accustomed to the overworld thanks to your many successes, I expect no different this time."

"How much will I be paid for this trip?"

"Your wage, as you should know, is paid into a human account created by the Grim Reapers Society. I'm sure you will be paid just as handsomely as Grim Reaper #S72816 did, perhaps even more." Mori slid a case file sitting on his desk towards Chuuya, "your accommodation is located in Yokohama, near a university Dazai Osamu attends. You will be working as a barista while he attends his lectures and you will keep an eye on him wherever he goes."

"Sounds like a piece of cake. Why couldn't Sakunosuke do it?"

"Like I said, that's classified. You sure are nosy." Mori let out a low chuckle, and Chuuya flipped through the file.

Dazai Osamu

DOB: June 19 2001, aged 22
Attempts survived: 96
Grim Reaper Notes: Eccentric, suicidal, and seems to have the inability to die

Chuuya was confused at this, glancing at Mori who seemed to have a devious attitude. His cloak shrouded his mist being, and his hood fell over his face.

"Inability to die?"

"Pack your human clothes in your home, and get your Grim Reaper Pass ready for the portal to the overworld." Mori gestured to the door, "you are dismissed."

-

There are thousands of grim reapers in the underworld or, as humans call it, hell. Now it's not the fiery pits that one may imagine, it's a civilisation of mythology. If you took a stroll down one of the many roads, there would be a pale being walking its hellhound to the red-tinted park. If you look inside a home you would see youth, long forgotten in the overworld, opening their present from their adoptive parents. It's quite a peaceful place, there is no need for these beings to even think about entering the overworld. Grim reapers have a special role in the underworld, they must reap the souls of living beings that were once full of emotion, to aid them in joining them in the underworld civilisation. To do this, they must use a special portal that spawns them in the overworld and they usually return within the night. In the overworld, grim reapers often take on a human appearance of their choice, usually with the gender they most identify with. Most underworld beings have no gender, they have no need as they have not been to the overworld in so long, so grim reapers are out of the ordinary.

Chuuya was one of those special beings, and whilst he loved his job of reaping souls of beings, he hated humans. Humans were the reason the underworld was his preferred place to be. In the underworld, there is no crime, everyone gets on harmoniously, as they have no reason nor intent to do harm. He was one of the Grim Reaper executives, and he was proud of his status. He was often away in the overworld for a few months at a time, as he was given the harder tasks, such as a terminally ill patient or even waiting for a mother to give birth to her stillborn child. Due to this, he lacked proper empathy for humans, and simply saw them as a step to a nice pay check.