• 6 •

Business was booming for the quaint coffee shop, and Chuuya was struggling to keep his composure over the little things. For example, a customer decided she didn't want a rocky road and instead wanted a Bakewell tart, despite Chuuya already charging her for the rocky road cake. Another example was a child screaming like a creature from hell reincarnated as a tiny human at ten in the morning. Hirotsu could tell it was getting to Chuuya, and for good reason too.

His mind was whirling from a possible godly spirit as someone he talked to quite often. Thank hell that Chuuya never spoke about himself, Dazai could use it against him. No matter how much green tea he consumed, nothing could calm his mind. What made matters slightly worse was that Dazai never showed up, even though the remaining trio of the group visited.

"Hey Chuuya!" Atsushi greeted, "have you heard from Dazai?" The name itself made his grim reaper blood run cold.

"No! Why would I have heard from that mackerel?"

"Mackerel?" Atsushi tilted his head inquisitively, but Chuuya never responded. Mackerel smelled bad and no one likes fish (or at least he didn't), it made sense for Dazai to be a species of animal no one cares about.

"He's been blowing us off all day! He hasn't answered any of his calls and now our text messages won't even deliver! Dumbass must've turned his phone off." Ranpo scowled, and Yosano sighed loudly.

"Maybe he's finally done it! Congratulations Dazai." Her voice was smooth like honey and dripped with sarcasm. "He could've at least given us a goodbye message."

"Maybe he's just having an off day!" Atsushi pointed out, before turning to Chuuya and the ginger immediately knew what he going to say. "Why don't you visit him after your shift?"

"Why can't you bastards do it?" Chuuya spat, the three exchanged glances, which only made him more mad.

"It's Kunikida's turn to get him out of whatever mess he's got himself into. He's not here so it must be you."

"Besides," Ranpo began, "he has a weird obsession with you. He'll listen to you. I'll write down his address." Chuuya's stomach twisted at this. Dazai knows I'm a grim reaper.

"No way in hell! Now order or leave!" Hirotsu cleared his throat behind him and Chuuya responded with a coy smile, his features morphed into disgust as he looked back at the three. "Will you leave me alone if I do?"

"We won't even order!" Ranpo proclaimed, and Chuuya thought long and hard. He was going to visit Dazai tonight anyway, what was the harm in doing it earlier if it means killing the guardian angel set to ruin his life.

"Fine. I'll go in an hour or two after my shift." The trio grinned like school kids learning about a crush. Ranpo scribbled down Dazai's phone number on a napkin and his address, not that he needed his address. Grim reapers can teleport to their assigned case. They left without a word, Ranpo didn't even lick the glass to the desserts. That's weird.

"You're going to visit him?" Hirotsu asked, and Chuuya massaged his temples.

"I'm going to have to. I'll kill him then and there if he is what we think he is."

"Very good, bring your scythe."

-

Chuuya finished his shift at four in the afternoon, and his mind was clouded with anticipation as he zoomed through the streets on his motorcycle. When he got home, he gave Arahabaki her dinner early and began to get ready for the confrontation. He dressed himself in his robe and grabbed his scythe from the wardrobe. He was going to kill this guardian angel, he'd never done this before. He didn't even know guardian angels actually existed, he thought they were a myth to scare the younger imps in the underworld. They have a whole set of different rules to grim reapers. For starters, they are allowed to procreate and fall in love with humans, which caused even more problems with grim reapers. Especially as many mutant offspring do not know what they are until they are in danger.