• 8 •

Dazai woke up with a scream. He was upside down, the same type of rope used to tie him to a firework was wrapped around his ankles. Chuuya had a maniacal grin as he hoisted the man up to the thick tree branch. He had a stroke of genius that night he confronted Dazai, an idea that was sure to end this torment.

"What are you doing?!" Dazai yelled, trying to wriggle himself free from the rope. Chuuya cackled as he reached into his bag. "What's that laugh for?! Are you a witch?"

Chuuya pulled out five jars of jam, ranging from blackberry to strawberry to raspberry. There was a smooth jam, and several chunky jams. He opened the first jar with a pop and dug his fingers into the jar.

"I wish you would dig your fingers into my jar-" Chuuya smothered the sticky jam across his mouth, along his cheeks and on his forehead. Dazai's muffled bellows only encouraged the grim reaper, running his slimy hands down Dazai's exposed, slim waist. Soon, Dazai entire body was covered in fruit jam. It was a mixture of dark purple, red and pink. Dazai swiped his tongue across his lips, savouring the delicious jam. "I think you just unlocked a new kink for me."

"You won't be flirting for long."

"And what exactly is your plan?"

"I'm going to attract a bear and it's going to eat you alive."

"Ooh, fun! One problem," Dazai idly swung from the branch, "bears don't live on cliffs."

"What? Yeah they do!"

"No they don't. They live in forests."

"Maybe they'll be attracted to your stench and come travelling!"

"No Japanese bear is going to come out of hiding to eat a man covered in jam."

"What the fuck?!" Chuuya growled, stomping his foot on the ground.

"Don't be a petulant slug. Maybe we can try again in a forest next time." Dazai smirked, "now free me so I can bathe in the ocean. I'm very sticky." He made an exasperated grunt and he tried to pull his upper body upwards to his feet. In doing so, the branch wavered, and a wasp nest fell to the ground below. Seething with anger from their broken home and famished, the wasps surrounded Dazai's body busily. It only took one wasp to sting the jam-covered skin to signal the whole nest, and soon the whole nest glued themselves to his body and began puncturing his skin with their stingers. This wasn't how Chuuya planned his attempt, but it was welcomed when Dazai started howling in pain.

"So you can feel pain?"

"Of course I feel pain dumbass! I'm part human, I just heal stupidly fast!" Dazai whined, hissing when a wasp stung his toe. He writhed and squirmed as the wasps attacked him. His face was puffy, red and swollen and he waved his arms around. The branch started to snap, tearing from the trunk and Dazai fell to the earth. He grunted and the wasps only seemed to become even more enraged. His human instincts kicked in and he dashed to the edge of the cliff. He wobbled before jumping head first off the ninety foot drop. His screams echoed and quietened as he dived into the water. Chuuya raced over to the edge, water became concrete at a certain height. This would fracture all of Dazai's bones, and he would drown. The grim reaper rejoiced, no more Dazai Osamu! What made matters even better, he wasn't a direct link to his drowning, it was practically a suicide. Chuuya wiped his hands clean of both jam and figurative blood.

He finally felt at ease, like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He sighed in content as he backed away to start packing the car. He guess he didn't need to trap Dazai in there and kill him with the fumes, he didn't need to think of any more ways to kill him. Something tightened in his chest. He was getting used to seeing the Black Lizards, working and seeing his regular customers everyday after their lectures. A part of him didn't want to go back to the underworld, to sit at a desk and fill out paperwork for every reap that he could've done himself. It may be another decade until he comes back to the overworld, and that made him frown.