14

The orphanage was almost refreshing in its consistency. Her room was the exact same since she left it, the same stripped bed and creaky floorboards. Eliza didn't bother unpacking most of her things, simply stashed a few sets of muggle clothes in her wardrobe and set the diary onto her rickety desk. She wouldn't leave her most prized possessions out in her room that didn't even have a lock on the door.

The matron hadn't even given her an hour to settle in before she was called down to help in the kitchen. Apparently she had no excuse to not do chores in the summer because she got to 'slack off in a boarding school for nine months of the year'

Eliza wondered how the matron would react if she told her at the end of her first year she had literally felt a man's face burn away beneath her own hands. But she knew that would land her with a lot worse than bible study so she kept her mouth shut and peeled potatoes and ignored how some part of her desperately wished to stab the knife through the matron's throat instead.

It wasn't until much later that night she was finally allowed to return to her room and speak with Riddle.

I have to assume our plan was a success then Riddle writes back when she greets him. Eliza did feel a bit guilty about leaving Riddle in the dark for so long, leaving him wondering if they had been successful but then she remembered how the boy had been willing to feed her to a basilisk and stifled her nagging guilt.

Back at home sweet home.

I can't understand why you spend your summers here instead of at one of your friend's homes. What's the point in them if you don't benefit.

You're a sociopath.

High functioning one, darling. Eliza had to muffle a snort at that

I plan to spend the last few weeks in Diagon, that is of course if you're no longer a thorn in my side Eliza wrote back.

Well that depends on how quickly you can get me a soul Little Star.

No, no, no that depends on if you have a trust worthy plan first.

All in due time Riddle writes back but he doesn't speak again for the rest of the night.

The days drag on, Eliza completed all her homework. Billy Motley tried to push her down the stairs and so Eliza broke his arm in return. No one knows it was her, no-one has proof but they all avoid her for the next few days.

You would think they'd remember to not pick a fight with me but here we are.

Just kill one of their pets Riddle writes back to her I find that's quite effective. The sadistic amusement coming off the diary makes her shake her head in exasperation.

I'm not killing an innocent pet Riddle, unlike some I'm not actually deranged.

Then just kill the boy instead.

No. Aside from reminiscing about pet homicide have you come any further in your plan?

But I do so love reminiscing over the past Eliza, have you ever been to the beach?

One week faded into two, two into three and Eliza was ready to crawl out of her own skin. She despised returning to the muggle world, despised being kicked out of her home every summer and she ached to be able to use her wand again instead of being stuck in this hell-hole.

The matron hadn't appreciated her cussing and she had been made to spend another hour in the corner, arms out with heavy bibles place on top of them. The humiliation burned her more than the pain did.