48

Eliza woke up the next morning filled with regret.

Why had she made that bet with Tom? His OWL scores were ridiculous, and Eliza was only doing well in history of magic because of Theo. Who knows what Tom would do with a no questioned asked favour? He was a dark lord, diabolic was practically his job description.

“What’s got you so nervous?” Sirius asked as they all sat about the kitchen table waiting for the owls to arrive “There’s no way you haven’t got like 15 O’s”

“Of course I’m going to do well – it’s not that I’m worried about” Eliza said glaring into her morning coffee.

“She made a bet with the dark lord” Blaise expanded “Some sort of no-questioned ask favour or something”

“You idiot” said Remus and Eliza could only nod in response.

“So I have to beat his owl score – otherwise I’ll never live it down”

“Well you’re about to find out” Sirius said as they spotted two owls heading for their open window. The Hogwarts barn owls landed on the table in front of Blaise and Eliza looking distinctly unimpressed. Eliza untied her letter and treated the owl to a piece of bacon before she opened up her letter.

“Well?” Remus asked after a few minutes had passed “How did you both do?”

Blaise grinned “I got exceeds expectations in pretty much everything, three O’s in defence, herbology and astronomy”

Sirius cheered and leaned over the table to drag Blaise into an enormous bordering suffocating hug, although the boy didn’t seem like he was complaining all that much.

“And what about you Eliza?” Remus asked as Sirius continued to hug Blaise.

Eliza frowned as she studied the paper “It’s a bit odd” she replied and they all turned to look at her in bewilderment.

“I mean I got all O’s, of course” Eliza said waving a hand with a smug grin “but some of them are in bold”

Remus’ frown disappeared and a proud smug grin appeared on his face “Check the rest of the envelope”

Eliza stared at him in confusion but obliged anyway and pulled out another letter that was hidden in the envelope.

Dear Miss Potter it read

We at the ministry would like to offer you our sincerest congratulations. Not only have you secured the highest grades in your year with the highest amount of OWL’S but you also now hold the record for the highest amount of marks in the following subjects.

Alchemy, Ancient runes, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Muggle studies, Astronomy, and Magical Theory.

We are looking forward to seeing what else you may achieve.

The Department of Education.

“Holy shit” Eliza said after she finished reading through it “holy shit”

“What?” Sirius said pulling away from Blaise “What is it?”

“If your subject is in bold it means you’ve attained the highest mark ever recorded in that subject” Remus explained as Eliza was still gawking at her results “The only question is; how may records did she break?”

“Six” Eliza said still staring wide-eyed at the paper “Six”

“Does that mean-

“I beat Tom and won this stupid bet? Yes”

Sirius let out another cheer and drew both her and Blaise into a giant hug. Eliza didn’t even bother fighting it, she just accepted her fate.

“We need to go out and celebrate” Sirius exclaimed and Eliza rolled her eyes.