52

Being back at home was, well, no different from usual really. Sirius and Remus were pretty much the same (‘we tell you not to kill people, and what do you do? You kill people) and Blaise was still living with them over the term break. He even helped decorate the house with them and took great pleasure in covering Eliza from head to toe in tinsel and glitter.

Sometimes Eliza wondered why she put up with them all.

And then she remembered that Sirius was teaching her how to drive the motorbike and she accepted the glitter being tossed over her with a quiet dignity.

It would be worth it in the end.

Eliza trotted down the staircase, she usually gave in too the childish urge to slide down the bannister which always gave poor Kreacher a heart attack but she was afraid if she gave into that urge tonight she would ruin her dress for the Malfoy Yule Ball.

She wished she could duck at least once but knowing Narcissa came with a heavy price, she would never be allowed to miss a Malfoy Yule Ball for as long as she lived.

“Merlin Eliza” Blaise breathed as she finally joined him in the parlour “You’re going to give people heart attack’s”

Eliza smirked and smoothed out her dress, it was a grey backless dress that flared out about her because merlin forbid the wizarding world accepted anything form fitting. It was covered in rhinestones and had a long slit in the side revealing her legs and the red heels she had stolen off Daphne.

She planned to cause quite a stir tonight.

“Nope” Sirius said as he walked into the room “You can’t go out in that”

“Why not?” Eliza replied innocently to which Remus, who had only just walked into room, let out a long sigh at.

“It’s too revealing” Sirius squawked and Blaise let out a loud laugh beside her.

“I never took you for a prude Sirius” Eliza drawled and started edging towards the fireplace as Sirius started spluttering indignantly.

“I’ll have you know-

“Oh would you look at that” Blaise said cheerily, pushing Eliza into the floo “It’s time to go”

“Don’t you dare-

“Malfoy Manor” Eliza spoke with barely muffled laughter and disappeared into the floo, tripping out the other side. She dusted her dress off as she waited for Blaise to appear. No-one was waiting for them in the foyer this time, Narcissa would already be in the main hall greeting guests with Lucius as she and Blaise were running late. Intentionally, of course.

Technically Eliza wasn’t meant to be at the ball tonight at all. Narcissa was expecting her but everyone else was under the impression that Eliza wouldn’t be attending this Yule Ball, especially considering Lord Gaunt would be attending as well. Dumbledore had no idea she planned to cause a scene and at this time neither did Tom. She was considering it payback for not letting her know about the whole Sanguini thing.

Would it have killed him to send a message? A ‘hello darling, the vampires know about you and one especially creepy one will be at your party tonight – have fun’

But he hadn’t done that, so, payback.

“Shall we, Heir Zabini?” Eliza asked as Blaise finally stepped out of the floo. Blaise smirked in response and linked their arms together

“Why I believe we shall Heir Potter”

Together she and Blaise made their way into the main ballroom, shimmering with icicles and crystals and Eliza smiled at the sight.