34: A riddle interlude- II

Durmstrang was dull. Once the novelty of actually attending one of the most famed dark arts schools in the wizarding world has worn off Tom had quickly found himself bored out of him mind. It wasn't as if he would actually be able to learn anything from a NEWT curriculum and now that no one would duel him anymore his days had descended into a monotonous routine. And he certainly couldn't torture Karkaroff whenever he was bored because Tom was bored all the time now and then he'd be down a spy.

But it was all necessary.

The triwizard tournament would deliver him straight to Voldemort and Tom wouldn't have to illegally apparate around the world and stay in shifty muggle B&B's as he hunted down his elusive counterpart. Plus it would be nice to see Hogwarts again, and Eliza for that matter.

He didn't think it was possible to be bored when she was around.

~

He's proven right of course. Not even a day at Hogwarts and Eliza was already providing more entertainment than torturing Karkaroff ever had. Although seeing Dumbledore's face when he had approached his little saviour came in a close second. Tom wondered just what the old fool had been thinking.

He wondered what Eliza was thinking as well. She was good at covering up her emotions, they fell into their old routine of teasing and banter but Tom felt it was all decidedly off. There was something different about her, something he just couldn't quite place. He hoped whatever it was would be solved easily once she had her 'talk' with him in the room of requirement.

It had created a rather odd room for the both of them. There was definitely inspiration from the slytherin common room and he assumed the odd things he didn't recognise were from Eliza's new home at Grimmauld Place. What threw him the most however was the stuff he clearly recognised as his own. The record player in the corner, the coffee table, and the second hand sofa he had saved up all month for. He had no idea what Eliza spoke about to his horcruxes but he had a feeling that that was where she had gained her uncanny knowledge. It made something twist inside him.

He tried to brush off her worries and questions, far to used to working alone to consider confiding all her plans with him and felt himself jolt slightly at her acidic tone.

"Remember who you're talking to darling" he found himself saying in the face of her disrespect. Unlike everyone else though she didn't cower or plead for forgiveness. She tilted her head back, arsenic green eyes glinting defiantly as she drew her wand. Tom studied her as he felt it jab against his throat.

She really was quite fascinating. Powerful and defiant - certainly not a child. Tom remembered what he was like at her age, quick to anger, indignant at being treated like he was a child, like he was lesser when he knew he was made for more. It had stung.

And here he was, treating the only girl, the only person, who had ever met him like an equal in the exact same way.

He apologised although he regretted it a second later at the sound of her teasing voice

"You lost Voldemort"

Tom was a dark lord, he didn't get flustered. Not even because of his most impudent horcrux. He continued to explain the rest of his plan to her, albeit being a bit vague with the details. If she knew about her name being in the cup her reaction wouldn't be as authentic. He trusted her acting but she had to fool the entire school and proclaim her innocence. There was no way she would be able to use a magical vow if she was technically operating as his accomplice.

"One last favour Eliza" he said to her, taking her hands into his own and silently revelling in the warmth that coursed through him "and then you'll be free"