26

Instead of thunderous applause the only thing her name was met with was a horrible oppressive silence.

"Eliza Potter" Dumbledore shouted again and Eliza slowly rose to her feet, unnerved by the feeling of everyone's eyes on her.

She had known that she would not be escaping this year unscathed, she knew Tom was using her as bait but that didn't equate in her mind to her being a champion for the school. She had thought she'd just be kidnapped like any normal evil mastermind would choose to do. She never expected to be a champion in a tournament she had ordered her Slytherins to not take part in. A tournament in which people died.

The other champions were already in the room when Eliza entered it. She immediately glared at Tom who did nothing but shrug in a 'well what can you do' manner as Eliza fumed.

But the champions weren't alone for long as suddenly the door slammed open and in stormed a large group of people: Dumbledore, Karkaroff and Madame Maxime, Ludo Bagman, Mr Crouch and for some reason Professor Snape.

"Miss Potter" Dumbledore said coldly "did you put your name in the goblet of fire?"

"Of course she didn't" Snape snarled and Eliza felt touched over his defence of her.

"Miss Potter" Dumbledore spoke again loudly and Eliza felt herself bristle underneath all their accusatory stares because really, if she had put her name in, it would say a lot more about their incompetency then her misdoings.

"I swear on my magic that I did not place my name in the goblet of fire, nor did I ask anyone else too on my behalf. So I say, so mote it be"

A bright flash lit up the room, stunning the rest of its occupants into silence and just to further her point Eliza carelessly sent green and silver sparks into the air above her head.

"Now are we still continuing with this ridiculous farce or am I free to go?" Eliza questioned icily, she had a house to go and try and control. No doubt some of them were already making a bid for her position as Queen.

"I'm afraid even if you didn't put your name in-

"I didn't"

"You will still have to compete in the tournament" Mr Crouch said.

It was funny, how some words could sound like a death knell.

"Well that's unfair" Karkaroff blustered angrily "I demand to submit names again until each school has two champions-

"Why Headmaster are you doubting my capabilities?" Tom said silkily and Eliza had to duck her head to hide the small smile on her face as Karkaroff paled dramatically. At least Tom was obviously enjoying himself.

"It wouldn't matter anyway" a gruff voice chimed in "it's a magically binding contract, they've got to compete" Mad-Eye said as he entered the room.

"Mighty convenient eh?"

"Convenient" Madame Maxime spat "how would it be convenient?"

"Obviously a death tournament would be a convenient thing for me to take part in if someone wanted me dead" Eliza pointed out, ignoring the heavy weight of Moody's gaze.

"I don't exactly have a good track record with murderers you see" Eliza said pleasantly, revelling in the tension of the room.

Eliza listened as the adults went on to argue around her although Dumbledore curiously remained silent in defence of his champion. In fact Dumbledore's eyes had barely moved from the corner Tom was standing in the whole time.

"...I'm guessing they submitted Potter's name under a fourth school to make sure she was the only one in her category" Moody growled out explaining his theory.