nine - royally scarred

Guards were filling up the room. Left, right, they were everywhere, and ready to shield the attack. I thought that this was going to be it, they'd find us eventually, after all, it just mattered who would win. 

The palace guards, or the southern rebels?

But then, Prince Lucas stood up and frantically ran to the opposite side of the room while the Selected were asked to keep calm, reaching his destination, Lucas typed a few numbers onto the keypad before hearing a click. And suddenly, the hideout had was unlocked. "Ladies, in here, please." 

And he didn't have to wait any longer, the girls stood up and rushed to the back wall along with the royal family and a few guards who made sure to barricade the doors as soon as everyone had made it through.

It was pretty interesting, actually to see who would crack under the pressure. Which happened to be quite a few of us. Some of the girls had sat with their backs against the wall and hugged their legs. I don't blame them, we were all terrified. 

I will end you. All of you. The words replayed itself in my head. The trauma would've caused us to fear for our lives, was it worth it fighting for the crown. Love defied the odds, but will it always?

We had been royally scarred for life. 

"Hey," Will's voice snapped me out of my thoughts, "How are you feeling."

I was sitting in the corner, "I think the more important question is are you okay? I mean, you live here after all."

"That makes two of us." He nods, "You live here too, by the way."

"Until your brother decides to send me home, that is." I laugh, "Sorry, I didn't mean to make the already sordid environment even worse."

"It's okay. I mean, who has it in them to be permanently happy all the time." He sighs taking a seat next to me, I make some space for him, and he offers a tight smile when he turns to face me.

"You, apparently."

"I wish."

Then we simply sit in silence. I can't lie and say I wish he was hugging me at this moment, it would've helped me feel safer, but both of us know that being a selected meant I was off limits for him, and so he kept his distance.

"Lady Holly." Lucas came over offering a nod. "Will, Mother is asking for you."

Will nods, straightening his suit and heading towards the front of the room. 

"So, what was it like."

"What?" I ask, looking at him.

"What did it feel like when I asked you on a second date?" He winked at me, "After all, fireworks weren't enough to impress."

"More like too much." I said, honestly, "How are you thinking about dates in the middle of a rebel attack, you know, we might not even make it out." I noted.

"Please, I practically grew up here. Thus, the installation of cameras, assuming they aren't slashed, which they really aren't I can spy on progress. Which, in this case, is going well. I'd give it an hour top."

I nod, "Do the northerners still come around?" I asked. When Queen America was coronated, the event taking place one or two days after the royal wedding, she and her newly wedded husband took it in themselves to reveal to the world who the rebels were, and their motives. It must've taken a lot.

"No, they don't. The got what they wanted with America, after making a previous deal somewhat. Something related to August Illea and Princess Natalie from Italy." 

I nodded. "I won't keep you longer."

***

Lucas was right. It was another hour before the Selected were released into the palace. As soon as I exited the hideout, or whatever they may call it, maids crowded the area, sweeping the broken debris off the ground and into one of the several trash bags being laid out. 

The carpet was not one of the only things slashed with a blade, it's royal blue color stained with red with anguish, and likely the blood of each dead warrior. Were they avenging the death of their warriors by scaring the life out of the selected?

My room was left unattended, thankfully enough, and soon the palace returned to its normal regime. 

Although I was nervous. These rebels seemed serious, like every other thing. But a part of me refused to admit that this would be the last time I would see them.

Night washed over quickly, not like anyone felt like interacting at all, and so, I found myself bidding my maid's a good night rest before sending them off to their respective rooms.

I was still halfway through the delicate process of falling asleep when a knock had interrupted my thoughts and woke me. I groaned irritatedly. Who could possibly be at the door? "Go away," I yelled.

The knocking continued. 

I rolled my eyes. It was Will, that one persistent mothe- "What." I half-yelled into his face as I yanked the door open, "I'm a cranky girl, in a cranky mood, it had better be worth it."

He smiled, "I want to show you something."

I roll my eyes. "Go on."

Slowly, he led me past a series of stairways, until he stopped by a door, to which he opened and slipped us both through. "You don't need to be quiet, just don't do anything stupid."

"I'll take my chances." 

Will flips on the light switch and I realize that we're on the roof, and we were looking at the stars. Which gleamed against the dark sky, "Why here, and why you." he nodded.

I raised my eyebrow, refusing to speak.

He continued, "Well I don't know, I guess it was the day a girl treated me normally, and she didn't reveal that she knew me until I told her myself." I stared at him.

"I'm not in love with her," he said, watching me physically relax, "I just wanted to be friends." he took a step towards me just as I took a step backward.

Then another step, my back was pressed against the glass wall. When he saw me tense, he stopped moving forward. "I'm sorry," he apologized, "Friends." He raised his hand, waiting for me to shake it.

"Friends." I took it.

Because becoming more than, was against the rules. But assuming there were no rules, it wouldn't be just friends. What a fantastic triangle we have here, or was it really.