twenty - make an exception

I knew the third floor was completely off-limits for the selected, but they were going to have to make an exception because I was one moody girl right now.

Thankfully, the guard blocking the entrance let me slip past because he had seen my look of desperation and already knew that I had been up there quite a few times now, accompanied by the Prince.

There were only a few rooms up here, so I made my way to the room opposite Will's. Also known as Lucas' room, and just as I tried to build up the courage to open the door, a male voice spoke first. "Holly."

I turned around, coming face to face with Lucas himself.

While he looked apologetic, I wasted no time in wrapping him in one of my bone-crushing hugs, snaking my arms around his neck. He kissed my forehead. "I-I couldn't."

"You couldn't what?" We were dancing now, slowly, against the spacious carpet. I moved my arms to wrap around his waist so that I could rest my chin on his shoulder.

"Let you go," he murmured into my ear.

I didn't say anything so he continued, his breath hot and soft. "I shocked everyone today, you know? It was only supposed to be six. You were one of them, and when you chose Will, I took you off the list. For obvious reasons." He breathed, "but when our eyes locked downstairs, I couldn't do it. They say you only get true love once, and if we even had a spark. I won't crush it until you can confidently tell me that you don't love me anymore." He said.

"You saw my hesitation?" I asked, finally.

"I did, Will did," he said. "So please, give me a chance?"

I laughed quietly, "You wasted your first kiss on me." a flutter of giggles now, "I think I'm pretty much obligated to do as you please." he smiled, pinning me to the wall, which made me go silent.

Suddenly, I saw a familiar head of red hair and broke apart from Lucas. "America!" I say in shock, attempting to flatten out my dress. 

"Right." Lucas muttered, "I forgot you were friends."

America only smiled. "As long as my son is happy." she winked, "I'll see you around, Holly." I nodded.

Turning back to Lucas, I give him a hug. "I should go."

***

"I can't believe you're leaving." I cry, as the three of us watch Callista pack her bags. "I don't believe it. I refuse to accept this."

She laughs, "I'll cheer you on from home."

"Nope." I say, "Nope. We're not going to lie here crying about one another. I don't care what you say, bring a swimsuit, we're going to enjoy our last day here." 

Genevieve and Denise exchange slight glances, before they dash off to their rooms, coming back in swimsuits, the towels draped over their shoulders. I, myself am wearing a white swimsuit that complements my figure perfectly. The single geometric style cut revealing a bit of my cleavage is also very strategically placed. Plus, it goes perfectly with my dirty-blonde hair.

Once we're at the pull, Callista shoots us all an unimpressed glare. Once again, she's doing her swimsuit justice, a model does have that effect, though.

Without much thought, which is a habit I somehow keep repeating, a give her a small push, sending us both in the water. "Holly!" Denise yells as she and Genevieve dive in.

Callista coughs up water, glaring at me, "I don't how you've become my friend." I see a small smile she's fighting not to break through the surface, "Weirdo." 

I only grin at our friendly banter, "You know you love me."

She shakes her head, hands on her hips, stereotypical mom position, but with a grin, "Okay, okay. geez. Just don't make me a hot mess on my last day." She splashes the water in my direction. 

Genevieve pipes up, "Cal, that was the idea. You know? You're going home so you can do whatever you please basically."

A few more hours later and a few more girls have already left, boarding their flights with a supply of tears that could last them their lifetime. Most of their faces appeared to resemble a tomato. Extremely red. Whether it be the embarrassment or sadness, it didn't matter, they were still crying.

About seven girls were still left, all their planes scheduled to depart within the next three hours. The flights worked the same way they entered. You were in the same group of four you had when you arrived, if the other girls in your flight have either made it to the Elite or have left already, then you take the flight alone.

It was as simple as that.

Which meant, Callista departed alone. 

Her head was buried as deep into her sweater as she could, even when she boarded. She had hugged each of us, telling me that she'd still see us from home. Between the two of us, I probably cried more. 

"Cal," I whispered as she took a step away from us to board, she turned to me, enveloping me in the final hug. She had taken one of the last few flights. "Good luck."

And then, she left, and I thought just how did we become from partial enemies to friends. Then I shrug. We were friends, dare I say, best friends, I'd leave it at that.

When the final girl left, and we were all somewhat gathered in the Women's room. Sylvia waltzed in, "Ladies." she smiled happily, "Welcome to the Elite." 

The Queen from beside her smiled, "You've proven that there is a connection between you and the Prince, but do you have what it takes to claim the title of the Queen."

I flickered my gaze away. 

"We'll see."