Chapter 5: Fitz's POV

Fitz's POV

Biana calls me up and I can't help but hope for it to land on Sophie. After Keefe and Sophie's thing, I feel so angry, because she leaned closer! I mean, come on! She crushed on me for 3 years. But then I dumped her, so now she's running to Keefe. I thought he was supposed to leave Sophie with me. Dad had a big conversation with him about how I needed her (her awesome powers, mostly)!?! I spin the bottle too aggressively, and I think it will stop on Sophie. My hope bubbles up, but the bottle swerves, a door creaks open and it lands in front of Maruca. Maruca. Out of any time she could have walked in, she chooses now!

I never paid much attention to her, but my mind is so busy right now, I don't really care. Then I realise this is real. I have to kiss Maruca. In front of Sophie. Reality dawns on me, and it comes crashing down like one of Linh's tidal waves. My anger bubbles up and Keefe's mouth is open, like he's about to say that I need to calm down, but Biana yells "Welcome, Maruca!" right as Maruca's face tints pink.

"Are we..." she starts, but Biana cuts in. "Yeah, we're playing Spin the Bottle.." Biana murmurs. "And you got Fitz..". Awkward silence follows, and I think for the first time ever, my face is fully blushing. Maybe I can make Sophie run back to me if I tease her with Maruca. I flash an Academy-winning smile at Maruca but her tough demeanour doesn't melt. I internally sigh to myself. I will get Sophie to like me again but to do that I have to get Maruca. It can't be that hard, right?