Six

Mariah gasped and took many steps back, she covered her mouth with her hand at what she just noticed and at that moment, her previous encounters started flashing in her mind, the raven, the dragon and the panther, they all had the same eyes, black and gold, a strange but yet a beautiful and mystic combination. She still couldn’t believe what she was seeing, how could he share the same eye color with the animals? How is that even possible? Her face spoke of her fear and worry.
“You promised not to be afraid, and I believed your words, but I see now that I was wrong,” the man before her said with a tinge of sorrow lacing his voice, he looked away from her, “do not worry, I shall go back to the shadow where you shall not be afraid of me,” he turned to walk back into the shadow.
“Wait,” Mariah called out to him and he turned back to look at her with a raised eyebrow, she gulped and then held her head high, “I was not afraid, it was what I saw that surprised me.”
“And what could that be, my lady?” He asked.
“Your eyes.”
He smiled and held his hands behind his back, “and what is wrong with my eyes?”
“This might sound strange to you but I have seen it before,” Mariah said, her head a little lowered to hide her eyes.
“If you have seen my eyes, could that be that you have seen me before?”
“No, no, no,” she rushed to say, “I have never seen you before in my life but I have seen your eyes.”
“Then the person might just have the same eye color with me. Like yours that are green, I have seen many green eyes in my life.”
“It’s not a human that have your eye color,” she whispered, a little embarrassed at what she was going to say for she knew that he would ask what she means and which human would take it lightly that they share the same eye color with animals?
“Really, then what?” his voice spoke of his interest and she looked up at him to see his eyes glowing, she looked down immediately as she remembered how the dragon’s eyes glowed, she had been so close to it and now him.
Mariah licked her lips, she was tempted to tell him to forget it but as she had already started the discussion, she has to tell him everything so she heaved a deep breath and looked up at him, her eyes stared deeply at his and he didn’t look away but kept her gaze, a little smile dangling on his thin lips, “a raven, a dragon and a panther,” she said without stopping for a breath.
The smiling man furrowed his brows, “a dragon? Really?”
Mariah was surprised that he was only bothered that she mentioned a dragon and not the fact that she had just said that three animals has the same eye color with him. “it’s true, a dragon, I saw one two nights ago outside my window.”
“You saw a dragon, a fire breathing lizard and you are still alive?”
It was only then that Mariah realized that he was doubting her, she knew believing her would be difficult which was why she never told her family about her encounter with the majestic beast, but having the stranger doubt her was something unacceptable, she pouted her lips stubbornly and said, “yes, I am alive for it did nothing to me, only that I think it put me in a slumber and carried me to my bed for I slumped on the floor but woke up on my bed.”
She was surprised by a beautiful music that filled the forest which was the laughter of the man before her. Although the sound was enticing and a beautiful melody, Mariah was angry when she realized that he was laughing at her. “A dragon carried you to your bed?” He asked after, “really my lady, are you sure you didn’t fall and hit your head?”
“Why should you ask me that? I am telling you the truth.”
“Aye, but who would ever believe that? Not only did you see a creature that is known to be a myth but it carried you onto your bed. Tell me my lady, how can a dragon which is so big and majestic fit into your room?”
Mariah wanted to argue that but she found out he was right, but she was also sure that she slumped on the floor and woke up on her bed, “it’s the truth I say.”
“How many people do you think would believe this, did your family believe you?”
“I did not tell them,” she whispered.
“Did any of your friends believe you?”
“I do not have friends.”
“Why is that? A beautiful lady like you should have many friends and suitors should be swarming around you.”
“You are wrong, I am not a lady, at least not anymore and I doubt if I would ever have a suitor.”
“Why is that?” He asked with a frown.
Mariah sighed, she looked away from him, “my family had been banished from the Kingdom and not to return until the king sends for us, but that has not happened and it’s been weeks since we left,” she rubbed her arm, finding relief in talking about it with someone other than her family. “I wonder if that would have ever happen, it feels like we have been forgotten and forever doomed to leave our lives in exile.”
“And you do not want that?” His voice had turned soft and soothing.
Mariah heaved a sigh and closed her eyes, “no, I do not, my family deserve to be in the kingdom, we deserve to live among people and in our land.”
The stranger smiled, “do not worry, everything shall be well soon.” Mariah chuckled at that and he raised an eyebrow, “you do not believe me? Why, is it because I am but a stranger?”
She looked at him then, “that reminds me, what could you be doing in the forest by this time?”
“I should be asking you that, for you are the lady here and you can easily fall into harm, whereas, I am a man, I can be anywhere I want to be and people will not find it strange.”
“That’s true,” she smiled, “but why would you choose to be in the forest?”
Walking around her to step further into the meadow, he asked with a smile, “what are you doing in the forest? With all the stories told about it, shouldn’t you be afraid of it?”
“Well, I used to be, but ever since my family was banished into the cottage, I have come to find out that apart from the stories, there is something else about the forest and whenever I’m in it, it almost feel like…like…”
“Like you belong,” he finished for her, surprising her. He chuckled when he saw her questioning look, “I should know for I feel the same. Whenever I am here, I feel peaceful and like I am finally where I should be.”
“That’s strange, it’s almost the same with me,” she started walking towards him and together they walked further into the meadow, “sometimes I feel like the forest is calling me,” she glanced at him to see him staring at her, “you must think I’m crazy.”
“Nay, I do not, because…” he stopped and looked away from her.
“Because what?” She persisted.
He looked at her, “t’s getting late, your mother is worried.”
“How can you know that when you are here with me?” She questioned.
“I do not need to see her to know, every mother should be worried if her young daughter is still in the forest which all frightening stories had been told about so late at night, or am I wrong?” his eyes glistened at the question.
Mariah sighed and shook her head, “no, you are not.”
“Aye,” he smiled, “what are you called?”
“Mariah.”
“T’s a pleasure meeting you, Lady Mariah,” he bowed for her.
Mariah was surprised; did he not hear what she said? “I’m sorry but you are mistaken, I am no longer a lady.”
“It does not matter if the king banished you or not, you were born a lady, and a lady you shall be till your death. Unless if you married a man who gave you a higher title, maybe a duchess, or a princess or maybe even a queen,” he smiled.
“It cannot happen anymore, I have to be accepted into the kingdom for that to be possible.”
“Do not worry, you…” he stopped again, making her glance at him and he smiled, “you should really go, t’s too late for a lady to be here.”
Mariah looked back at the path home, she should really be going, her mother would be really worried if she doesn’t go back soon but for some reason, she still wants to talk with the stranger, she turned to him and asked, “what is your name?”
“If you really want to know then meet me here tomorrow and I shall tell you.”
Mariah was surprised, could it be that he wants to see her again like she wants to see him, she smiled, “then I shall be here, my Lord,” she curtsied. “I shall leave now.”
“Sleep well, Mariah,” he smiled.
She nodded and waved at him, and then she picked her dress and ran back the direction she had come. She looked back countless times and he was always on the same spot, watching her, when she had gone far from the meadow and couldn’t see him again, she ran straight home.