Fifty one

Fear gripped Mariah so badly that her legs were turning weak but she refused to turn prey and decided to try her luck as she always does and so she began running. She could tell from her rising fear that the hackeries were giving her a hot pursuit. She grabbed tightly onto her bracelet, praying that Azura would hear her or sense her danger and her need for her. A black shadowy form immediately blocked her view and she screamed in shock and turn to her right immediately, running out to the opening and praying that someone should please save her.
Alador was still asleep and he is only going to wake up tomorrow, she can’t die now and leave him, she had promised him that she would never leave his side anymore, she can’t fail her promise. It would be so unfair for him to wake up tomorrow to the news of her death. She also believes that is unfair on her side to die without seeing him one last time, without saying goodbye. Why is fate so cruel to her? Why can’t she have her happily ever after?
A loud growl behind her scared her so much that she almost missed a footing, making her almost stumble. She glanced back for once since running and saw them, they were closing in on her and she could see that one, that one that always ends her life raising up its hand and showing off its claws, the ones that stops her heart with one slash. Tears blinded her vision, so this is it, she was really going? She is really going to break her promise? She is really leaving Alador to stop existing?
“Mariah!” She heard and looked ahead to see Azura materializing in the other side, “hurry Mariah, get to this part!” she screamed, she looked pensive and worried at the same time. And Mariah could also see the fear that was clouding her face. She tried to increase her pace but her strength was failing her and where Azura wants her to get suddenly looked so far. She glanced back at the hackeries, they were already so closed and she could see the claws glistening with the sun and she knew it would only be a matter of time, just a few more seconds. She looked at Azura apologetically with a soft smile as she stopped running.
“No!” Azura screamed, “No, Mariah no,” she kept screaming as she started running towards her in speed.
“I’m sorry,” Mariah whispered to her, knowing she could hear her and then she closed her eyes and thought to Alador, “goodbye my love, if there is ever a chance that I would see you again, I will take it but for now, goodbye and know that I would always love you.” And just when she was done sending her thought, she felt it, the sharp pain on her back and the weakening of her knees.
“No!” Azura screamed, stopping short at where she was and looking at the scene in horror.
Mariah felt the blood bubbling out of her mouth as she slumped on the ground, her eyes never leaving Azura. And then she heard it, an earth shattering scream that she was sure didn’t come from Azura for she was looking at her.
“NO!” The voice screamed and suddenly, the clear sky started darkening, lightning strikes and thunder rumbles angrily but there was no rain. With her strength failing her, Mariah could see other gods appearing at the scene in wonder of what was happening and just before she closed her eyes, she felt warm shaking arms wrapped around her and with the last strength in her, she lifted her heavy eyelids to look upon his face. His golden black eyes were filled with sorrow and clouded with tears, his shaking hand caressed her cheek, “Mariah.”
Mariah smiled tiredly, she was happy, so happy that she was able to see his face one last time, after giving up hope on doing so. She raised her shaking hand to wipe away the tear that trailed down his cheek, “A-A-Alador,” she breathed heavily, saying his name was so difficult and strength draining, “I-I-…I…L-l-love…y-y-you.” And her hand dropped by her side and her eyelids started shutting.
“No!” Alador screamed so loud, the darkened sky was getting darker by each second and the lightning kept striking and the thunders kept rumbling angrily. The lightning gods were surprised at what was happening for none of them were responsible for the sky and if they are not, does it mean Alador is responsible? Can that be that he has the powers of every god? “Get the healers!” he screamed and Azura immediately disappeared to find them on their mountain even though she knew that before she could return it would already be too late. Mariah was just a human girl, there was no way she could survive that ghastly strike from a hackery.
Alador softly laid Mariah on the ground and he leant down and kissed her head softly, “I told you, I will protect you this time and I am not failing that promise. Just hold a little longer for me, please,” he whispered and then stood up and turned to the hackeries who were about leaving with their job done. “Who summoned you?”
“The king did,” a deep echoing voice answered.
“I did not,” Alador said, gnashing his teeth terribly, “I am your king and I did not summon you.”
“No you are not, you have not performed the rites as a king, so that means you are not the king.”
Alador remembered then, right after defeating Ilayas, he had only had him locked up and went in search of Mariah and after everything, going through that pain again, he has awoken on his bed in his room with a painful strike to his heart. And since it all happened like that, the hackeries were right, he was not the king yet even though he defeated Ilayas. But that means Ilayas was the one that summoned them. He closed his eyes and said, “give it to me.” The hackeries said nothing and he opened his eyes, his eye were burning like an untamed fire. “Give me back her soul!”
“We would do no such thing.”
“Fine,” Alador said and raising his hand up, a lightning struck on his hand and in its stead was a sword cackling with the lightning that surrounds it. Alador pointed the sword at the hackeries, “I challenge you to a duel, if I defeat you, you would give me back her soul.”
Everyone was surprised hearing what he said, no one has ever won the hackeries in a fight, not even the mighty Darian, what makes Alador think he can pull that off? But then they were reminded that Alador was stronger than Darian. As the only god with all the element powers, that makes him the legendary true god and the strongest.
“We will do no such thing. We only attack the gods that attack us.”
A sly smile curved on Alador’s lips and wielding his sword, he flew to the hackeries and slashed one of them. The lightning on the sword held the smoky demon bound at a place. That surprised everyone, including the hackeries for nothing could hold them in a place due to their smoky nature.
“How about now?” Alador asked but he didn’t give them the time to reply as he charged on them again.