Eleven

As was said, General Lloyd came with his men early in the morning and Lydia who had woken everyone up as early as possible couldn’t wait to start going back to the Kingdom. Mariah knew that every member of her family was happy at the recent thing that was happening, except her.
She stood in front of her window and stared at the forest which looked pale and lifeless in the morning; she heaved a deep sigh and wiped the single line of tear that trailed down her cheek, her thought was filled with a certain silvery white haired man with fiery eyes. She remembered their conversation last night, he had sounded so sure that she wouldn’t go to him tonight and how angry she had been, thinking he was doubting her while he ended up being right.
She looked down at the horses and the men that had come to take back her family to their kingdom, three nights ago, she would have been happy going back, she had longed for this day to come and now that it finally did, she didn’t want to leave anymore and it was all because of the man she had met two nights ago, a man she doesn’t even know his name. If he only he had told her his name, it would have calmed her heart a little more because he would have left a significance in her life and she could always stand outside her room late in the night and whisper his name with the hope that one day he would hear her and come to her.
Her heart felt heavy, her legs so weak that they couldn’t carry her to the door, what is wrong with her, why does she feel this way for a man she barely even knows? Why does she feel like just when she had finally found her peace, she is being dragged away from it? Why does her heart beat so fast for him? Why does she want to abandon everything and go search for him? Is she supposed to be feeling this way? She has only known his existence two nights ago, why does she feel so tied to him? Why does a part in her heart and soul feel like she had known him forever? Why should she be feeling like this for a total stranger?
The sound of the door opening brought her out of her thought and she quickly wiped away the tears that trailed down her cheeks. “Mariah?” She heard her mother call and sniffled, trying to appear okay, “are you alright my dear?”
Mariah closed her eyes and heaved a deep sigh before turning to her mother with a smile, “yes mother, I am fine.”
Lydia smiled and walked up to her, she pulled her into her arms and caressed her hair, “I know you have grown attached to this place, but you must understand, we do not belong here my darling, this is not our home,” she released her from the hug and looked deeply into her green eyes, “we were forced to stay here and now, we are finally accepted back to our kingdom. Let us go my dear, let us go to our kingdom, our home,” she cupped her cheeks, “all will be fine, soon you will reunite with your friends and every memory you create here would remain deep in your heart, but you have to let go, my dear, you have to.”
Mariah smiled faintly and nodded, “yes mother,” she heaved a sigh, “I shall forget.”
Lydia returned the smile and hugged her again, “I’m so happy, things would turn differently for you now,” she let her go and walked to her bed, she picked up her cloak and walking back to her, she draped it on her shoulders, “with time, all would be history, you will see.”
Mariah only smiled as an answer and as her mother turned to leave the room, she turned back and looked at the forest, a part of her wish she could see him, even if it’s a glance, just one last glance. She found herself also wishing she could see the panther, she had gotten attached to it without her noticing.
“Mariah?” Lydia called when she realized she wasn’t following her.
“I’m coming mother,” she replied, her eyes still at the forest, cold breeze suddenly enveloped her, making her shiver and just as the cold passed, her dampened spirit passed as well, she was suddenly filled with the hope that she would see him again, it was almost as if she knew it was a possibility. Even she was surprise at her conviction, how could she be so sure? But she was and she smiled and left the room, following her mother.
Assembled on her horse and ready to leave, Mariah looked back at the forest with a smile, “till we meet again,” she whispered, “I know we would, I can feel it.” As if to concur with her, she was enveloped with a cold breeze again and she didn’t know if it was her imagination but it felt like the breeze caressed her face and even when it left, she could still feel the caress warm on her cheek. One final look at the forest, she pushed the horse into a gallop and caught up with her family.
Back in the forest stood a man, his slivery white hair was flowing in the breeze that surrounds him. His attention was on the leaving people; especially the black haired lady who had no idea that he had been watching her all through the time she was standing in her room. A smile appeared on his lips even though his fiery eyes revealed sadness, “yes we shall my lady, I have waited so many years to have you and I would never let you escape me again.” He turned and walked back into the forest when she was out of his sight.
***
Mariah lay on her bed, she might have missed her room but if sleeping on the small bed in the cottage means she would get to see her mysterious stranger, then she would gladly live there. When they had arrived in the morning, the guards had escorted her family and her to their home except their father. According to the general, the king wanted to see him for something and they are to wait for him here in their home. The sky had darkened but her father has not returned, they were not bothered for sometimes it was like that; he would leave for the palace and returned later in the night.
Mariah had been in her room since she returned, her handmaidens had been happy to have her back and it hurts her that she doesn’t share in their joy. She had been notified a while ago that dinner had been served and it had felt strange to her, when was the last time that had happened? It felt like ages.
A knock on the door made her sigh but she still answered to it, “come in.”
Her handmaiden entered and approached her on the bed, “my Lady, your mother told me to remind you that your dinner is getting cold.”
Mariah heaved a sigh and closed her eyes, “I am not hungry, Kayla, tell mother I shall eat in the morning.”
“But my lady…”
“You are dismissed, Kayla.”
Kayla sighed and nodded, “yes my lady,” she curtsied and left the room.
Minutes after Kayla left, Mariah stood up and left the room, she avoided entering the drawing room where she knew her mother would be waiting for her father and she leaved through the kitchen to the garden, smiling and nodding at the servants who greeted her. She walked to the bench in the garden and sat on it, looking up at the sky to witness the bright stars, she remembered her room back in the cottage and just wishes there was a way she could go back to it.
“There is,” someone said behind her and she turned and gasped when she saw him.