Forty one

Mariah sighed as the wedding veil was draped over her face, she closed her eyes and when she opened them, she became determined. She stood up from her chair, not minding to glance at herself one more time at the looking glass. The maid scurried to help her and some held the door open for her. As she walked down the hall towards the throne room where the wedding was taking place, a strong wind blew in through the window and towards her, unsettling her for a bit.
“Hurry up and close the windows,” the eldest of the maidens ordered and they rushed to closed it up.
“Oh my God, it is going to be a heavy storm, I have never seen the sky darken so much,” one of the maidens exclaimed.
“Neither have I,” another said.
“Hmm, I have only heard my grandmother talking about such darkness in the sky. She heard said her grandmother told them about it and had mentioned one name, she said he was the god responsible for the rain and that maybe he was in a bad mood that day,” one of the maidens sighed, “I never forgets the name she called him and I wonder why I do now,” she frowned.
“Are you sure it’s just the rain? The sky is still darkening,” one of them questioned as the hall was becoming darker by each second, it was as if the night was coming in day time, “I have never experienced this before.”
The big door was thrown open and guards rushed in, “my lady, the king asked us to get you in case you are afraid of what is happening,” one of them said.
Mariah said nothing and only nodded once and the guards escorted both her and the maidens to the throne room. All the guests were talking about the sudden darkening of the sky and some was wondering if it was a sign that the wedding should not take place. When the fanfare sounded to announce Mariah’s presence, everywhere turned silence and the royal choir started singing to welcome her presence. As she marched down the aisle towards Lugar, her heart was beating loud in her chest but she closed her eyes for a moment, took a deep breath and continued with her march, this was her life now, and she needs to accept it.
Soon, the strange darkening of the sky was forgotten as the wedding continued and when the drapes were opened after the vows has been said, everyone was surprised at how dark it looked, it was as if there were in night time and they had to check the clock again to be sure, but it was still very much the morning of a new day. Lydia hugged her daughter, trying not to let the strange thing happening to affect the happy day. “I am so proud of you my dear and do not worry, it must be a big rain that is coming, there is nothing to panic about. Your husband said so right before you entered the room,” she cupped her cheek and smiled brightly, wiping away the tear that dropped on her cheek, “I told myself I won’t cry but I can’t help myself,” she chuckled and sniffed, “I just want you to know that I would always be here when you need me and I pray your marriage would be fruitful and filled with all the happiness your heart can contain.”
“Thank you mother,” she replied.
Soon, it was refreshments time and everyone was dancing and enjoying the day. No one wants to be affected by the strange sky after all, the king told them it was nothing. Mariah danced with Josiah and like Lydia, he also told her how proud he was of her. She also danced with her little brother and he admitted to her that even though he often tells her to marry, he never meant it in a way to push her away and that he have been missing her ever since she left the house and he wonders how long more he would miss her now that she would never come back. She had smiled and assured him that they would always see each other, after all, she wasn’t going off to die.
The kingdom was in merriment and right when they have all forgotten the strange happening of the day, king Lugar blessed them with the news that all has been righted and as he said that, the drapes were drawn once more to reveal a clear blue sky. Everyone rejoiced and those that have been secretly worried let out a sigh of relief.
Mariah sat on her seat beside Lugar, people were dancing and drinking and constantly congratulating them but she was not feeling the happiness she had thought she would feel on her own wedding day, she was lost in thought when a strange but familiar voice rang in front of hair. “Congratulations my king and our future queen.”
She glanced up then and saw Ilayas, he smiled and bowed softly to her while Lugar stood up to welcome him. “I thought you couldn’t make it?” he asked.
“I told you, no matter how busy I am, I will definitely attend your wedding,” he replied and then turned to Mariah, “will I be honored with a dance on your wedding day?”
She glanced at Lugar and he nodded at her and she sighed and stood up. Placing her hand on his outstretched hand, he led her to the dance floor where other couples were dancing. Placing his hand on her waist, he started moving her to a waltz, “once more, congratulations,” he said but she didn’t reply. He sighed after a while, “look around Mariah, a lot of maidens both your age and older would do anything to be in your position and you that have it, cannot even as much as smile on your wedding day,” he shook his head softly, “that is unfair to the other maidens.”
“What happened with the sky today?” she asked, ignoring his first comment.
Ilayas tried to listen to her thought but he was surprised to find it blank, it was the first time he was with a  human and their noisy thoughts was not disturbing him, he glanced on her face to be sure but her face was as blank as her thoughts. He blinked in surprise and said, “oh well, I had thought you were too busy with your wedding to notice but, that is something that happens when a human who has shared a bond with a god marries another. T’s nothing to worry about.”
“You are lying,” she shocked him by saying.
“And why would you think that?”
Glancing up at him for the first time since they began dancing, she said, “because I know that Alador did it and you came here to make sure that I wasn’t frightened to run back to him, but you did not need to worry, I have broken up with Alador, and it’s for the best,” she glanced away from him once more.
She heard him sigh before saying, “Mariah, I can understand how you are feeling but you must understand that t’s for your best interest. I would not like to kill you again, neither would I want you to stop existing, but I must have you know that I am impressed with your decision. T’s…”
“I’m tired now and I would like to retire to my seat, thank you for the dance,” she interrupted.
Ilayas smiled, “do not forget Mariah, I am still the king of the gods and that makes me, the king of all and you talk to me with respect, but that is okay, I will let that go today for t’s understandable if you are tired. Let me take you back to your husband,” and with that, he led her back to Lugar. “Thank you for giving me this dance,” he said to Lugar and then leaned forward to kiss Mariah on the cheek and whispered, “just so you know my queen, you have changed Alador,” but before she could ask what he means, he bowed and strolled out of the hall.