CHAPTER 2: A PROMISE AMIDST CHAOS

As Kate ventured into the depths of the warehouse, a surge of anger coursed through her veins. The sight of the sick and injured souls left behind, bravely fighting for their survival, ignited a fire within her.

She couldn't stand idly by.

"Are you going to save us?" whispered a sick child on the ground, reaching out to touch Kate's shoe.

With a compassionate heart, Kate knelt down in front of the child, who was cradled in his mother's trembling arms. Gently, she placed her hand on the child's head and spoke with a calm voice, tears welling in her eyes,

"Yes, I promise to do everything in my power to help you."

The child's eyes slowly closed, too weak to stay awake. "This is how he is, my love," the mother said to Kate, her voice filled with both sadness and hope, "He can't stay awake for too long."

"Kate!" called an unfamiliar voice, rushing towards her.

Without hesitation, she stood up and faced the man. "James said I must get you quickly. You must see this."

Intrigued, Kate swiftly followed the man to the other side of the warehouse, where Alex, James, and Romeo were waiting. As she entered, her eyes widened at the sight of six men dressed in black, armed with machine guns and masks.

"Come," James said, urging her forward.

As Kate looked at the telegram in front of her, she felt a sense of alarm. "Do they know where we are?" she asked. "No, but I think they're about to," James replied.

He then instructed Romeo to quietly evacuate the people through tunnel 301. Romeo wasted no time, accompanied by one of the armed men in the room.

"Kate, emit, you're with me. We'll take the fourth elevator down," James said. Emit, one of the five shooters in the room, nodded in agreement.

James then pointed to the other four. "The rest of you go with Alex. If the enemy discovers our hideout, take down as many as possible." "Right," Alex responded, grabbing a machine gun and leading the four shooters away.

James, followed by Emit and Kate, quickly entered the fourth elevator to go down. They pressed one of the buttons to descend and they were on their way.

*beep beep*

James' device started ringing, he connected it to his ears and answered it. It was Romeo. "All the people are now moving out through the tunnel, what's our next move once they're out?"

"We activate plan B right away," replied James instantly.

Kate was curious about what plan B was.

"Are you sure, brother?"

"Yes," said James, ending the call. "What's plan B?" Kate asked. "That's not relevant right now, we need to get out of here quickly." The elevator came to a stop, they were on the last floor. Immediately, they stepped out into a dark place, with only a flickering bulb giving them light.

Emit then turned on his gun's light and took the lead.

As James, Emit, and Kate approached the threshold of the darkness, their anticipation turned to dread. Two menacing figures descended towards them, prompting Emit to extinguish his light, and they cautiously retreated. Emit's words echoed with a mix of fear and urgency, aware of the imminent danger.