11

Lily was walking out along the woods when she noticed Ben and Carlos out on the field. She walked up behind Ben, peaking over his shoulder. "Whatcha doin?" She whispered. Ben jumped as he peered over his shoulder, seeing Lily with a smirk on her face. "Oh, Lily. Hi." Ben sighed.

"Hey Benny-boo. You gonna tell me what ya'll are doing or not?" Lily said as she moved over to the side of him. "Sprints and please don't calling me that." Ben whispered. "Oh, but its just so fun, benny-boo." Lily laughed.

Ben just rolled his eyes as he looked back over to Carlos, "Okay. Carlos, we're gonna do some sprints. You ready?" Ben questioned. Carlos shook his head as Ben looked down at the watch and started it.

"Oh, no." Lily whispered as screaming came from Carlos, a dog running behind him and barking. "No, wait!" Carlos screamed as he ran pass Ben. "Sweet." Ben said, looking down at his watch and stopping it.

"Carlos!" Lily screamed as she chased after Carlos, still screaming. "Lily, where are you. Carlos?" Ben questioned as he turned around. "Carlos!" Ben screamed as he chased after Carlos and Lily.

The dog chased Carlos into the woods as it continued barking behind him. Carlos screamed as he climbed a tree, Lily right behind him. "No, stop!" Carlos said as he pointed down at the dog. "Carlos!" Ben's voice came from behind Lily. "Ben? Ben?" Carlos questioned as Ben came up in front of Lily, Lily looking slightly scared at the dog.

"Ben help me! This thing is a killer! He's gonna chase me down and rip out my throat. This is a vicious, rabid pack animal!" Carlos screamed as he looked down at the dog. "Hey, who told you that?" Ben questioned as he picked up the dog.

"My mother." Carlos replied. "Cruella?" Ben questioned. "She's a dog expert. A dog yellerer." Carlos said as Ben stifled a laugh. "I wouldn't say that." Lily whispered from behind. "Elizabeth!" Carlos shot a pointed look in her direction. "Why are you holding him? He's gonna attack you!" Carlos continued.

"Carlos, you've never actually met a dog, have you?" Ben questioned. "Of course not." Carlos answered. "Dude, meet Carlos. Carlos, this is Dude. He's the campus mutt." Ben said to Carlos. "Who names a dog Dude?" Lily rolled her eyes as Ben titled his head to the side, stifling a laugh as he looked at her.

"He doesn't look like a vicious rabid pack animal." Carlos stuttered as he slowly got down from the tree. "You're a good boy, aren't you?" Carlos said as he slowly petted Dude, Ben handing him to Carlos.

"Aw, how sweet." Lily raised her eyebrows. "You want him?" Ben questioned, reaching for Dude. "Oh, no. I'm good. Just admiring the view." Lily stifled a laugh. Ben mumbled as his face fell, slightly confused, his head nodding.

"I guess you guys have it pretty rough on the island." Ben stated as he turned back to Carlos. "Yeah, let's just say we don't give a lot of belly rubs." Carlos smiled as he rubbed Dude. "Good boy. I mean, you're a good runner. You're... You're fast, you know." Ben grabbed Carlos's shoulder. "Oh, yeah. Thank you." Carlos replied, a small, confused smile on his face. "Yeah." Ben replied.

"Listen, I'm gonna give you guys some space, yeah?" Ben stated as Carlos shook his head. "You guys get to know each other and just, come find me when you're done, okay?" Ben continued. "Okay." Carlos shook his head. "I'll see you later." Ben said as he started to walk away. "Bye Carlos." Lily smiled as she waved to him, following Ben.

"Hey, wait." Lily said as caught up to Ben. "Yeah?" Ben questioned. "Could I ask you something?" Lily replied. "Yes, of course, Elizabeth." Ben answered. "One, don't call me that and two, is there any way you could help me with chemistry." Lily questioned, a slight bit of blush tinting her cheeks.

"Sorry." Ben blushed and adverted his gaze to the ground. "Why would you need help? Don't you have like something that could help you with that?" Ben continued as he stifled a laugh. "Do you just assume all villains have something that could solve chemistry problems?" Lily stated as she raised her eyebrows up at him. "No, no, I just-

-hey, it's fine. Don't worry about it if you can't." Lily said as she elbowed him. He leaned over a bit and groaned. "No, I can. We can meet in the library later." Ben smiled. "Okay, thanks benny-boo." Lily smiled as she started to skip away.

"Hey, wait." Ben grabbed Lily's wrist. Lily widened her eyes as she looked up at him, being closer than they probably should have been. "It's my turn to ask you a question." Ben stated as he looked down at her. "Who said you get to ask me a question?" Lily said as she raised her eyebrows up at him. "I did." Ben said calmly, leaning down slightly.

"Okay." Lily mumbled. Ben backed up slightly, "So, are you and Carlos like a thing." Ben questioned softly. "What?" Lily's face contorted to confused. "I mean our friends like to say stuff here and there, but no, no." Lily said, shaking her head. "Okay." Ben said simply as he pulled back. "Wait, did he tell you something?" Lily questioned. "No, no, he didn't. I was just wondering." Ben answered.

Lily mumbled as her gaze switched to Ben's hand still on her wrist. Ben furrowed his eyebrows as he followed his gaze towards where Lily's was. "Sorry." He whispered as he removed his hand. Lily looked back up at him, Ben already looking back at her. Lily tilted her head slightly, "Why do you look at me like that?" Lily questioned. "Like what?" Ben questioned softly. "I don't know. You just look at me like, like nobody's ever looked at me before." Lily answered as a small smile formed across her lips.

"I've never heard somebody say that to me." Ben smiled. "Well, glad to be the first." Lily stifled a laugh as she tore her gaze away from him and started walking back to the school, Ben following behind her.

If Lily only knew why Ben looked at her like that. He knew why but he wouldn't tell her unless it came up. He knew he couldn't just stop no matter how embarrassed he might be that she had caught on that he looked at her differently. Somehow when he was around her, he felt better than when he was around anybody else, something was different about her and he liked it.

authors note-

publishing this before church so sorry if it's a little rushed towards the end and I missed anything while I proofread.

hope yall enjoyed and pls vote and comment <33