Chapter 1 - Ashes to Ashes

Sitting at the back of the bus, Lucy occasionally glanced out of the window as the double-decker approached Parliament Square. The morning sun bathed the Thames in its warm glow, while the bustling sounds of London filled the bus through its open windows. There was an air of anticipation and opportunity, just out of reach, as passengers gazed across the water, wondering what the day held in store.  As the bus made its stops, a crisp chill rushed in with each opening of the door. More and more people boarded, quickly filling the seats and causing the walkways to become crowded. This was a typical scene on the bus to Westminster School, where people went about their normal lives, and Lucy was no exception. She was a bright and ambitious girl with big dreams. She possessed a strong moral compass and supported various righteous causes. Witnessing the years of violence that had plagued the North, she felt compelled to do her part in protecting others. Becoming an outspoken activist on social media, she gained followers daily, eagerly challenging those who spoke out against the Government. She was a talented young 15 year old, who had an eye on public affairs and politics. Her blog had gone viral when she openly debunked countless conspiracy theories surrounding V19 and the war in Ukraine. Lucy meticulously researched each piece of misinformation and vehemently spoke out against those who actively spread the lies. Her passion was ignited after watching a BBC report on the plight of Malian refugees and how the freedom movement created illegal camps in Europe. To Lucy, everyone and everything had a place in the world. She couldn’t comprehend why people believed the falsehood that the Government caused the pain, that greedy politicians Orchestrated wars overseas, and that they desired the “New Troubles” to control the population. She dismissed these conspiracy theories as complete nonsense, particularly the notion that V19 was man-made. She countered the fake news claiming the Government lied about V19 and was behind the Freedom Day Massacre.

Lucy firmly believed that the soldiers stationed in the free cities up North were there to prevent terror attacks and restore peace to the nation. To her, their presence and the additional laws were a small price to pay for the protection of her loved ones.

Her father would often argue that if the North wanted independence, they should be allowed to vote on it, a sentiment shared by many in the Southern counties. “It would end the violence and terror attacks if they just voted,” Lucy would say, defending her beliefs even when they sparked heated arguments at home. Her teachers and official reports reinforced her convictions time and time again.

As part of her school project, Lucy extensively studied the Freedom movement and followed various groups on social media to hear their perspectives. The Government consistently portrayed the movement as nothing more than criminals exploiting the vulnerable. Daily news showcased images of violence, human trafficking, and modern-day slavery. Lucy couldn’t fathom why the police seemed helpless against the gangs up North and why the people allowed the terrorists to go unpunished. Why didn’t they report them when surely they knew who they were?

Driven by her thoughts, Lucy volunteered at shelters and joined the anti-slavery movement after witnessing the refugee crisis and the horrors of human trafficking. This year was crucial for her as she prepared for exams and worked hard to secure a place at UCL (University College London) to study International Law and journalism. She aimed to contribute to the cause of education, enlightening people about the world’s issues. Her aspirations revolved around exploring the world and writing about the ongoing struggles faced by many, such as war, poverty, famine, and hatred. Lucy believed that she could somehow make a difference by shedding light on cultural divisions and exposing the harsh realities of life to the masses.

Suddenly, Trevor from year 11 turned around and flashed a smile at her from the seat in front. With his scruffy hair and handsome features, he had a certain charm that intrigued Lucy. Although she wasn’t particularly interested in boys, Trevor was different. His smile had a captivating effect on her, and she had learned to tolerate his cheeky behaviour because of his good looks. He fancied himself the next Jimmy Hendrix and was deeply passionate about the indie music scene. He had been playing lead guitar in a local band since the age of 12, giving him a higher social standing at school. Recently, his band “Go West” had been asked to warm up for OASIS, who were making a comeback. Trevor’s band was on the verge of breaking into the London music scene, thanks to their manager’s efforts and connections to secure them a spot at the Underworld gig.