Chapter 26 - Endex

It was yet another night patrol, and the team were nearing the end of their exhausting 8-month deployment. Battle-weary and fatigued, they all longed for their loved ones and families. It was clear to everyone on the patrol that everything had taken its toll on their commander, Jay.

Exhausted, Jay's nightmares had taken over his sleep, and it showed. He looked completely worn out. Becky couldn't help but notice Jay's increasingly erratic behaviour and the unmistakable signs of PTSD. Concerned about Jay's well-being upon returning home, Becky watched him closely. "Boss, you good? Just a few weeks left," she said, trying to reassure him.

"Yeah, I'm just knackered. We just need to get through these last few weeks and make it home," Jay replied, attempting to put on a brave face. "Alright, let's switch on and get this done."

"Where to, boss?" Coxy asked as the MRAP approached University Square.

"Head up to Western Park. The brass wants us to set up a spot VCP up the hill next to the children's hospital, across from the park entrance!" Jay pointed towards the third exit.

"Oaky Doaky," Coxy nodded and took the exit off the roundabout, driving past the old university buildings.

Becky and Mo were on top cover, scanning the abandoned university accommodation blocks. Every broken window in those derelict buildings posed a potential threat. Anyone with a rifle or homemade grenade could use the tall structures to launch an attack on passing mobile patrols.

After the Northern Cities declared themselves free states, the government took the unprecedented step of disbanding universities and colleges, claiming they had become breeding grounds for provocateurs and extremists. Major universities were amalgamated, and new "super universities" were established in the southern counties. The Freedom movement countered this decision with a massive propaganda campaign, accusing the government of wanting to keep the northern youth uneducated, docile, and obedient.

Western Park had become a pilgrimage site for the Freedom movement and its followers, as well as a cesspool of vagrants and drug users. Anything could be bought in the park, and the state police regularly raided the area or performed vehicle searches to curb the flow of drugs into the city. It wasn't uncommon for green units to set up VCPs to provide a visual presence in the area. As a result, it had also become a hotspot for random ambushes, with the abandoned buildings serving as perfect locations for attacks on security forces.

"I fucking hate this place. Any jerk can take a pot shot at us," Mo shouted over to Becky as he turned to cover the rear of the MRAP while it passed through the choke point.

"Keep your eyes peeled, you two. If anything's going to happen, it'll be now," Jay called back, glancing up at the two on top cover.

"Boss, we're here," Coxy said, giving Jay a nudge as he slowed the MRAP to a stop.

"Right, everyone out!" Jay opened the commander's door and jumped down, quickly raising his rifle and peering through its thermal sight.

The team swiftly dismounted and took up secure positions. The last one out was Coxy, who, as he shouldered his rifle, turned back to see the MRAP slowly rolling backward down the hill. "Fuck me!"

Jay turned around and saw the MRAP gaining speed as it rolled back down the road it had just come up, heading towards the roundabout. Panic set in as he realized what had happened. "You fucking idiot, Coxy! You didn't put the handbrake on!" Jay yelled, setting off in pursuit of the runaway MRAP.

"What the fuck!" Becky exclaimed, watching the armoured beast approach her with Jay and Coxy hot on its tail. "Becky, jump in and put the fucking brake on!" Jay screamed, while in the background, Mo was rolling on the floor with uncontrollable laughter.