Chapter 16 - The reaping

Within the pulsating control room, monitors and screens were scattered everywhere, displaying a whirlwind of information. Major Snow, the L Battery Commander, stood amidst the organized chaos, his eyes fixed on the unfolding attack on Romeo Two Zero Echo. Anger and grief surged within him, threatening to consume his composure as he muttered, "Fucking animals, he was a good man," shaking his head in disbelief.

"Keep tracking the car. Let's see where they are going," Major Snow commanded, his unwavering gaze locked on the monitor that displayed nerve-wracking images of the speeding vehicle desperately escaping the contact zone.

Suddenly, a stern voice reverberated through the room, slicing through the already thick tension, demanding immediate attention. Major Snow turned around, his heart skipping a beat, to behold a tall figure emerging from the shadows at the back of the op centre. Though the silhouette concealed the figure's identity, Major Snow's trained eyes caught a glimpse of the rank slide on the figure's combat uniform-it was a General.

"Give us the room!" the General barked, his authoritative voice commanding respect as personnel hastily exited the op centre, leaving only Major Snow to face the enigmatic General. The weight of the moment settled heavily upon them, the air thick with an underlying tension that crackled between the two officers.

"Major, I don't think you fully grasp the gravity of the situation. This is the twelfth checkpoint these bandits have ruthlessly struck in just a week," the General declared, his purposeful strides carrying him towards the control panel. His words carried an implicit challenge, questioning Major Snow's understanding and resolve. "It's time we teach them a lesson they won't forget."

Uncertainty and anxiety etched deep lines across Major Snow's brow as he struggled to find his footing amidst the mounting pressure. He mustered the courage to voice his concern, aware that doing so might strain the already tense relationship between him and the General. "Sir, what about the rules of engagement? I'm not sure I understand."

The General leaned against the control panel, his imposing presence radiating an aura of authority that brooked no resistance. His voice resonated with unwavering determination as he addressed Major Snow, their eyes locked in a silent battle of wills. His hands rested on his stable belt, a subtle display of power. "It's simple, Major. Hand over control to Section 12, and we will exact a revenge so devastating that they will never dare raise their heads again. Your fallen comrade deserves nothing less."

As the words hung in the air, the underlying tension between the Major and the General intensified, their conflicting perspectives and hidden agendas threatening to fracture the fragile unity they had built. The fate of their mission and the lives at stake hung precariously in the balance, their shared burden entwined with a delicate thread of mistrust.

"Sir, is this an order or a request, General, sir?" Major Snow's voice trembled as he glanced at the General, torn between his duty and the legality of unleashing unrestrained aggression.

The General grew Impatient, his tone firm. "I leave that decision to you, Major. But remember, if you value your career, make the right call!"

A knot tightened in Major Snow's stomach, his apprehension growing with each passing moment. Reluctantly, he stepped back and settled into one of the controller seats, his mind clouded with a dark sense of foreboding.

With a nod from the General, the order was given.

"All Kilos, this is Sunray. Execute, execute, execute," the General commanded, leaning back and preparing himself for the night's events.

Across Sheffield, black Mercedes Sprinter vans arrived at their designated targets. With each arrival, the radio crackled, "Kilo one at location, wait out!"