Chapter 4 - Freedom day

Chief Superintendent Jennings stood at the back door of the command wagon, gazing out at the vast sea of people. The colourful banners they held high filled the skyline, resembling the billowing sails of an armada ready to invade. Jennings, visibly frustrated, muttered to herself about the ongoing protest and how she had more important tasks to attend to. She turned to her second in command, who questioned why she was assigned to the Gold Command on this operation. Jennings shrugged, attributing it to the absence of higher-ranking officials who were likely playing golf. However, her attention was momentarily diverted as she noticed the arrival of the Advanced Crowd Investigation Units (ACIUs) being unloaded by the tech team. Curiosity piqued, she approached the equipment, eager to see the latest additions to South Yorkshire Police's arsenal. Jennings inquired about their readiness, expressing her urgent need for these tools to be deployed effectively. Tech officer Roberts, known for his expertise with drones and robots, assured her that the ACIUs were ready and capable of identifying any known troublemakers. With a smile akin to a child on Christmas morning, Roberts emphasized the potential impact of these devices, highlighting his positive contributions to the force thus far. South Yorkshire Police had a reputation for their heavy-handed response to mass gatherings, particularly due to past incidents like, Hillsborough, and the Barnsley beatings. Despite this, meticulous planning had taken place for the day's event. Officers were strategically positioned along the routes, and the ACIUs were strategically placed in key areas throughout the city. Everyone involved aimed for a peaceful outcome.

Amidst the crowd, Emma held her young son, Simon, in her arms, joining the chorus of voices singing a rallying cry. Her daughter Karen, a Sheffield resident for the past eight years, had witnessed numerous protests and marches in the city. Emma admired the immense gathering, feeling empowered by the sheer number of people present, believing their collective voice would finally be heard. The atmosphere buzzed with anticipation as the event organizers took the stage, their amplified voices resonating through large concert speakers. Human rights lawyer Samantha Hardy expressed gratitude for the turnout and emphasized the importance of making the march peaceful, reminding everyone of the families marching alongside them. Azza, a campaigner and social media influencer, urged the crowd to remain peaceful and avoid giving authorities a reason to intervene.

Observing the live feeds from the drones above the crowd, Jennings muttered her frustration at what she perceived as foolish behaviour. Turning her attention back to the command centre, she noticed a familiar face on one of the screens beside Tech officer Roberts. It was a tall man dressed in military fatigues. Jennings expressed her annoyance, assuming he was from the Army and thinking they believed they had control over everything. An officer informed her that the man was General Smith from Section 12, Jennings scoffed at the mention of Section 12 and speculated about their potential presence at the event. She also inquired about the whereabouts of SO17 and SO19, wanting to ensure they were on scene. Determined to get things moving, she instructed the officer to perform a radio check and mobilize the necessary personnel. Meanwhile, in the crowd, a marching band struck up a lively tune, eliciting cheers from the protesters as they began their march out of the park and towards University Hill roundabout. Jennings, speaking through her headset microphone, mockingly referred to the demonstrators as sheep, emphasizing that their role was merely to maintain order. The mood among the crowd was generally positive, with intermittent chants and slogans expressing dissatisfaction with the government. Nevertheless, the march proceeded smoothly, with a sense of controlled and peaceful determination. Spectators lined the sides of the road, joining in by honking their car horns in synchronization with the rhythmic drumbeats of the marching band.

Chief Superintendent Jennings stood on the rooftop, her eyes fixed on the tumultuous march unfolding below. The air crackled with tension, and a chill ran down her spine, signalling danger. The sight of the protesters, their faces distorted by anger and paranoia, ignited a seething annoyance within her, like nails on a chalkboard. She couldn't shake off the foreboding sense that this gathering would spiral into chaos.