Chapter 30// Emma

It's been a few months since the kids first met Eli but as my boyfriend. It was awkward at first but that was expected, I mean it's a new thing for all of us. Even Elliot, I mean he went from never dating to dating a woman with kids.

But it's going really good, we're happy together and even the kids seem happier. Cadence was already smitten with him anyways, now she's even more smitten especially when he's ready to watch Disney Encanto with her anytime she wants.

Hunter took a minute to warm up to him, but I think that had more to do with his father and the fact that he's scared to let another father figure close to him.

But after a few tries and patience from Eli, he got him to open up and their closer now, Eli and his brothers and Dex help him with his baseball and all the Argents come to his games, which I think he likes knowing that he has big amount of support.

We've also been invited to the Argent's family night dinners which is an event in itself. The Argents have been really opening and friendly to us even before Eli and became a us.

I guess I'm not really used to a big family like the one that they have.

For a long time, it was just me and my grandparents, then us with hunter and then it became just grams, me and Hunter until Drew came back into our lives, and we were blessed with Cadence, then after we lost Drew, it just became the four of us again.

And I love the Argents I do but it takes a little while to get used to how they are.

"Your deep in thought this morning" pulling away from my own thoughts and lifted my head upwards to lock eyes on Elliott, he smiles at me while kisses my forehead.

"Just thinking how happy I've been and how happy the kids have been. And you're the reason for that" I admit to him stilling smiling. Eli smiles back and lens forward capturing my lips with his.

"You make me happy too Emma. The time I've spent with you and the kids, opened my heart in a way I never thought could be possible. A way I was able to never do until I met you" He replies and he pushes a piece of my hair behind my ear gently.

"You never really told why you have never opened up to anyone before. And I don't believe it's because you've never had an opportunity to beforehand. You told me once you've never had a serious relationship before. Why is that? Why keep yourself so closed off?" I asked him.

I know from rumours that Eli spent most of his time with women for one night. And that time in the hospital he told that he's never had a relationship before.

"The truth?" He asks me.

"Always babe" Eli nods his head and smiles.

"In high school it was different. I was different and I felt different about the whole relationship thing. I wasn't out searching but if I find someone who I liked a lot than maybe, you know-:" He began telling me about his life.

"So what changed to never allowing yourself the chance?"

"Once I became a firefighter, I knew that was my calling. That I was made to do that job and that job alone.. But honestly after a few months I saw the worry I put on my parents and my siblings faces. I brought that burden to them because of something that I love doing, I swore to myself that I would never cause anyone else that kind of worry....but meeting you changed everything for the better Emma, you showed my how to not be afraid"

"I can understand that. Loving someone who might not come home to you, it's a strong feeling to carry but you do it because that person is everything to you" I whispered and locked his fingers with mine.

"Will you tell me about your husband?" He asks me in such an echo at first, I thought I missed it.

Staying silent for a moment, since we really became a us. Moving forward me and Eli we've talked about childhoods, how we grew up and how we became the people we are now.

But he's never asked me Drew and never told him. He knows little things, but he doesn't know everything about him or what we had.

I wasn't trying to hide anything, it's just how do you talk to your sort of boyfriend who you feel so much for and who brings you happiness. About the husband who was your first everything and who still holds a big part of your heart.

I don't talk about Drew because I don't want to hurt Eli, but I also feel bad about not talking about Drew because I don't want to forget him either.

"I met Drew when I was fifteen he was so different from the other boys. He was tougher, had a darker aura about him. A lost soul in the midst of everyone else. I told myself not to fall for him but I did. We bonded over our lack of parents, it started as a friendship grew to more-:" I broke off for a minute gathering my emotions before I could continue Eli's arms tighten around me, as I feel his soft lips touch the top of my head.

"You don't have to say anything more" He whispered softly to me.

"I'm fine. Drew in high school used parties, alcohol and drugs to block out his demons. I stayed away from his crowd but I always thought one day he would face his demons and grow up, but everything changed when I turned sixteen"

"You got pregnant" Eli said as a matter of fact not a question.

"Yeah I got pregnant. I was scared and unsure, vowed never to be like my mother and here I was just like her in high school and pregnant. Drew was shocked and scared but he supported me. I thought now we were going to have a baby, he would sort himself out. Face his demons and make a family with me-" I explained.

"Did he back then?" He asked me.

"For a few months he did. But eventually he find his way back to old habits. When I went into labour he was nowhere to be seen and when he did show up, you can tell by his eyes he was coming down from something. It was then I told him to stay away, to grow up, stay sober, find a way to slay his demons and then come and be a father to his child"

"He fought his demons for you and hunter" Eli says. Nodding my head and smiled. I love how Eli isn't asking questions but also how he's placing all the pieces together for himself, which kind of makes it easier to talk about.

"He did, took him two years but he did. Found his place as a soldier, stayed away from alcohol and everything, the man who came back to me wouldn't even take aspirin. I was scared at first to let him back in but he was my first love, my child's father it felt right to make a life with him. And we did, a beautiful life together, we married and added to our family....its was blessing and it was perfect" I stopped talking as I felt the tears coming from my eyes.

"I'm sorry you lost him. It's not fair that you had to experience that kind of pain baby" He said softly in my ear.

"Life isn't fair Elliot, even if I knew how how our story would end. I wouldn't change a single thing about it. Because no matter how much pain I've experienced it was worth it, to have that love, to create the family that we did"

"You are incredible woman Emma Anderson" I smile against his chest.

"I'm not... I'm just human" I replied, just as his chest rumbles with a small chuckle and he kisses the top of my head.

"Either way your still incredible and perfect to me baby"

Instead of saying anything I just snuggled in closer to him, letting the moment between us just be.

As I laid in his arms as he holds me tightly like he's afraid to let me go.