Chapter 8// Emma

Sitting in Maggie's café along with Gabby, Adalind, Lexi, Peyton, and Thea. It's girls' brunch day. And today it's a full circle, these women are so much fun.

"So, what is going on with you and Eli? Xavier says there's bad blood or something?" Peyton asks me, getting the attention of everyone else at the table.

"There's nothing going on, since knowing the guy. He acts like a woman shouldn't be doing my kind of job, then he looks impressive that I can do my job-;" I began explaining the mysterious of Elliot Argent and myself to them.

"Then he snaps at me, which results in me snapping back. Then the guy brings me coffee like we're friends and we are definitely not, Elliot Argent mood swings gives me whiplash" I breathed out and sighed, they all look at me with sparkles in their eyes and grins on their faces.

"I sense a epic romance brewing" Adalind smiled like a kid at Christmas, shaking my head and looked at her, no way, no romance, no friendship, no nothing between me and Elliot, I can't handle that right now.

"Nothing is brewing, especially with him of all people. I'm can't date anyone" I agreed, it's only Gabby and Dex who know about my husband, I'm not sure if they've told their better half's, Harvey or Thea.

And I know I should have told them by now, especially because they seem to think there is some sort of thing with me and Elliot, but it's not a story that I want to keep replaying to everyone. Because no matter how many times I tell people the story of my loss, it's not going to bring the man I love back, and it's just too painful to keep telling it.

"What why not? Your young and gorgeous Emma, yes you're a mom but you deserve romance in your life too" Lexi pipes in, raising my eyebrows at them, it's dawning on me that they think I'm divorced or no longer with my kids father, they think I'm single because I had a choice, but I didn't I never had a choice in the matter, that choice was taken from me, just like he was.

Moving my eyes over to Gabby who gives me a reassuring nod, telling me that I can trust them with my story.

"What have you guys heard about Hunter's and Cadence's dad?" I ask them, mostly Thea because Dex is the only one who knows the full story, I know Gabby hasn't told anyone. But the thing I've learnt about small towns by growing-up in one back in Dallas, is people gossip and tend to find out information on their own.

"Nothing really, I guess we just all assumed he wasn't in the picture anymore"

Nodding my head and sighed, taking a deep breath in and out.

"He passed away almost two years ago, Drew was a solider he died in action" I announce to them telling them my family's story,

"He was a hero, and I don't talk it about it much because it's hurts and people look at you differently once they know" I added and then looked up to meet their eyes, each one of them looking at me, pity and sadness in their eyes but also sorrow.

I know they don't mean to look at me in those ways, it's a natural responds when someone tells you something like that, but it still leaves you feeling hollow inside when everyone looks at you like your broken.

"Oh my god Emma, I'm sorry so-;" Peyton started and then cut off, grabbing my hand in support.

"Not a lot of people know here, just Gabby, Dex and now you guys" I reply,

"I had no idea; I always guess that Dex knew something more about you. But he always said it was your story to tell" Thea pips in sadly, locking my eyes on her.

"I'm sorry about that, I never intentioned to keep Drew a secret. It's just not something you bring up in conversation with new people" they all nodded their heads understanding.

"Is that why you moved to Creek-Harbor, for a fresh start?" Lexi asked me,

"Yeah, Drew and me we grew-up in a ridiculously small town in Dallas. Where everyone knew everyone and everything, first I was the girl who got pregnant at sixteen, then I was the young war widow -;" I spilt off, wiping a tear form my eye, that I didn't even realise was there.

"Emma you don't have too-;" Shaking my head and cut of the voice, I want to talk to them about this, because Drew he's a massive part of my life and these women are my friends.

"It's okay, it was hard because no matter where I went, the supermarket, the mall, the kids schools. Everyone who saw me, always said the same two things to me. "Sorry for your lost" "Your husband was a hero" "

And Drew was a hero, I was proud of him, who he was, what he stood for, what he fought for, who he fought for everything made him a hero. But I didn't need him to be hero, I just needed him to be my husband, be a father to our kids, but I knew that I could never ask him to walk away from being a solider.

That part of his life was just as important to him as me and the kids were, and it wouldn't have been fair of me to every ask him to give that part of his life up for us. Even though sometimes I wish that maybe I did, and he might still be here with us now.

"Anyways it was just really hard to move on, when you were just constantly reminded, it was effecting me as much as it was the kids and I just knew we needed a new start somewhere else, and we ended up here" I finished off,

The girls look at me as I finish my story, Thea and Peyton have slimmer of tears in their eyes, the others mask their feelings, but they all look at me with support.

And I'm grateful to have it from these amazing women, who all in their own ways have a story of their own.

"I know it may seem like a long road right now Emma, but I think one day before you knew it, you'll be okay and might even love again and until then we are all here for you" Thea opens up and says to me, nodding my head as more tears fall, grateful to know good people, who I am happy to call friends.

"Thank you, girls, it really means a lot. And that support goes both ways, if you need anything, I'm here for you all too" I replied knowing that a few of them, are always dealing with their own silent struggles.

They all nod in return and before we know it, we're all crying and then laughing, and a deeper more lasting, friendship is forming between us.