Chapter 4// Elliot

She's annoying ...she's opinionated and she's beautiful. Emma Anderson is an enigma to me; she has been since she first came to work at the firehouse.

She keeps to herself in the months that she's been here, she's good friends with Dex. Honestly, I don't really know that much about her, I know she's a single mom with two kids. I think she's divorced maybe. Emma she's never mentioned a husband or an Ex to anyone, and Dex has never offered up that information. And it's not really my business either, but what I do know for sure is that she's bossy and she really doesn't like me for some reason. To be fair I haven't really been that welcoming to her, and it's not because I don't like her, or that I don't think she's good at her job. She's a great addition to the firehouse and the paramedic team.

I just don't know what it is, for the moment she walked into the firehouse and I mean literally walked in-front of the fire-truck just as we were pulling out for a call. And let's just say I was very vocal about my annoyance, and while driving a way I could have sworn I saw her flip me off from the side mirror. I couldn't help but smirk as I watched her as we drove away that day.

And well ever since that incident, we haven't been friendly with one another.

But that said she intrigues me and the moment I see her every time, I can't help but stop and stare at her. Emma Anderson is beautiful, and she doesn't even know it, and women never have this effect on me but ever since that day, that moment she walked in front of that fire truck, she's had my attention and still does now months later.

Snapping out of my thoughts as I hear the front-door charm of Peyton's café door ring. We came to Maggie's this morning for breakfast, it's something my brothers and I along with Dex try and do weekly on the weekends. Currently this Saturday it's just me, Dex, Joel and Xavier Harvey had to work, we did invite Thea and Lexi but apparently, they don't like eating out in public places with us. So they opted for a girly brunch at Thea's friend's restaurant.

"Dex...Dex" We all turned our heads to the tiny excited voice, that echoes through the café. Moving my eyes to the front of the room, just as I see Emma walking in along to the counter with a little girl, around my niece Heidi's age. Who I assumed is one of her kids, I know that Emma has children, but they've never been the firehouse that I know of.

The little girl with blonde hair comes running over to our table with a massive smile, as she makes her way over to Dex. Emma looks over to at us and smiles friendly towards us. But she keeps her eye on  the little girl protectively.

Dex stands up from the table and picks the little girl up in his arms, just as I see Emma moving forward and begins talking to Peyton behind the counter. My eyes move from her to my sister-in-law, Peyton hasn't been herself these last few weeks, not since the whole fallen adoption but she's still putting on a brave face, but I worry for her and for Xavier.

Moving my eyes away from them and back to Dex who has now retaken his seat, but now with the little girl on his lap.

"And who do we have here?" I hear Xavier asks the kid sitting on Dex's lap, the little girl keeps glancing towards her mom, but smiles while staying quiet.

"Guys this is Cadence-;" Dex says and then looks down to the little girl Cadence and then back to us "And Cadence these are Heidi's uncles" He adds, Cadence peeks up at little at the mention of Heidi, and I slightly remember Heidi telling me all about her best friend called Cadence. I just didn't know she was talking about Emma's daughter.

"She's my friend with have sleepovers and everything" Cadence whispers slightly to us. We all smile at her, as she talks about our niece.

"Where's your brother ladybug?" Dex asked her, the little girl looks at him and shrugs her shoulders before answering.

"Hunter got grounded for fighting at school, mommy yelled at him and then she cried for a bit-;" She broke off saying sadly before adding in a whisper,

"Hunter is a brat" we all looked at her, Dex shakes his head sadly just as we hear another voice say, "Cadence Anderson, what have I said about calling your brother names?" Everyone turns their eyes just as I see Emma holding a takeout bag and Peyton standing next to her. looks at her mom before mumbling "Sorry mommy".

Dex stands up and places the little girl on her feet and walks her to Emma and pulls her in for a brotherly-hug and then steps back "Hi Dex" She smiles at him. None of us are worried about the relationship between the two, we know that Dex loves our sister more than life itself. And I also know that Dex sees Emma as a little sister, I've seen that first-hand at the firehouse and when their out on calls.

Emma then turns her eyes on me and simply nods her head "Lieutenant"

Leaning back on my chair and crossed my arms over my chest and nodded my own head towards her "Anderson".

And for a moment we just stare at one another, until I hear someone cleat their throat. Pulling away from her green eyes and looked around my brothers, "Emma Anderson I'm not sure if you've officially been induced but these are my brothers Xavier and Joel, and next to you is Peyton, Xavier's wife" I said making the introductions between everyone. 

Emma nods and waves towards everyone, politely before her and Dex take a few steps away from the table to talk alone.

Cadence, her daughter re-takes a seat at the table with us talking to Peyton quietly, I see my twin staring at his wife as she talks to the little girl in-front of us and my heart slightly breaks for them.

After a few more seconds, Cadence hands Peyton a piece of paper and she's accepts with the brightest smile before heading off to help a customer.

"So why did your brother get into a fight?" I asks the kid, honestly, I don't know why I am, but I just feel this need to want to know more about Emma or rather about who she is.

She looks at me and shrugs her shoulders, not really caring what she says. Heidi does the same thing, I guess kids just announce everything they that hear, even if their parents don't want that information known.

"I don't know....a boy was making fun of him at baseball practice about our daddy not being there. Hunter got mad and hit him, that's all I heard mommy saying"

My ears peeked up at the mention of their father, and I am curious to know about her Ex or if she has a husband.

"And where is your dad?" I asked her.

Cadence opens her mouth ready to answer my question just as I hear a more older and angry voice speak first,

"That's none of your business, nor concern and I would appreciate it if you didn't questioned my five year old daughter about our life" Emma firmly said to me and then held out her hand for her child.

Cadence waves goodbye to us and heads out of the café with her mom. But not before my eyes catch Emma's face once more, and the angry glare that came with.

"Your weren't kidding, when you said a person named Anderson hated you at work, I could feel the tension from here" I heard Joel mumble across from, throwing him a dirty look before turning back to Dex who has reclaimed his seat.

"Dex what's the deal with the kids dad?" I ask him with curiosity. Dex looks at me sadly and sighs before crossing his arms on the table.

"Eli I love you like a brother, but don't ask me that-;" He broke off for a moment, I know that he wants to tell me because I am his oldest friend, but I also know he won't out of respect for Emma. She is his friend too and that's what makes him a good friend to have, he's loyal and will never disrespect anyone like that by discouraging information that was shared with him in confidence.

" she's my friend and it's her story to share, not mine" Dex added after a few moments of silence.

Nodding my head and simply replied "Understood"

And just when I thought Emma Anderson, couldn't be more of a mystery to me she is.