CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

ADELAIDE

It's been couples without Carter and my stomach is about to start showing. Maybe Carter isn't coming for me. I have to find my way out of this hell hole. So far Asher hasn't wanted to have sex with me. Thank God, he treats me like we're playing house.
I think he just wants me to mess with Carter. I have been holding in my vomit so he doesn't realize I'm pregnant. If he finds out he will probably try and kill it.

The door opens and I shut my eyes, pretending I'm sleeping. I do this a lot. He tends to just leave me alone if he thinks I'm sleeping but this time he didn't. The door opens wider,  the light from the kitchen shining into the room. I hear Asher's footsteps heading towards me. He uncovers the blanket and I immediately close my eyes shut. He sits next to me and caresses my face. I tried my hardest not to shake. "Adelaide, I love you so much and I know you love me too. You were just hiding with Carter. I know that now. You never loved him you were just scared of loving me. I forgive you, Adelaide,"

Then he yanked my head up and my eyes shot open. "You love me right?" he questioned. A wild look in his eyes. I fucking hate this guy but, I need to get out of this alive. If not for me then my baby and my family. I miss them so goddamn much.

"I love you," I replied, trying to keep the vomit from coming out of my mouth. He smiles appreciatively. Then he grabs me and cuddles me to him. While I tried not to start crying.

I just felt grateful I was wearing his sweat and sweat which covered my stomach. Even if it was Asher's. Then he lifted himself off the bed and turned to me.

"Breakfast is on the table. I won't wait for you."

Then, he walks out of the door. I let it all out. Tears fall my name as I sob. I have to stop myself from crying. Come on Adelaide, you're stronger than this. You can survive this. I don't even know if I believe it anymore.

Why hasn't Carter come for me? I knew he didn't care for me and still, I had hoped. It was all a lie. Come on Adeladie. You can't fall apart because your hero didn't come save you. You are not a helpless Princess who needs saving. You can do it. You can get out of this all by yourself. Sometimes Asher leaves me isolated in the house as some kind of punishment. He knows that I'm afraid to be alone with my thoughts and use them against me.

I get in the shower quickly and meet Asher at the table. he's sitting and smiling like everything is normal. Does it not register in his head that I'm not here because I want to be? When it's smiling like this he looks like the Asher I met at Graduation. The kind Asher. I should have known better. I should have seen the red flags and left him. I saw them but then it was too late.

"Honey. I'm going out for a grocery. I'll be out for a while," he states while cutting into his bacon. I tried not to choke on the food in my mouth so, I smiled and nodded. I think Asher leaves me alone for days at a time as some kind of punishment for not being the girl he wants me to be or for not wanting to have sex with him.

Being alone with your thoughts in a dark room can drive you to the brink of insanity. The only thing that is keeping me insane is getting out of here for my baby's sake. Then, I immediately felt sick. I didn't want to throw up in front of him. I hadn't been sick and I know he would figure it out.

I couldn't hold it in. I immediately ran towards the toilet. He screamed after me and then I heard the chair move back. He was on my tail. "What's going on Adelaide?" he asked, practically screaming at me while I was vomiting into the toilet. I stayed staring down at my vomit worried that he would see my pregnancy in my face.

He asked again, "What's fucking going on Adelaide?"

I finally look him in the eyes. I stayed silent. I could see the moment that he figured it out. I tried to run away but, he grabbed me by my hair yanking me back. "You're having that piece of shit baby," he screams.

He pushed me back into the bathroom and locked the door from the outside. Moments later he walked back in with a knife holding it with a crazed look in his eyes. Fear trails down every inch of my body. I start to back away from him but he comes closer. He left the door open behind him. I started thinking about ways to get around him. Even if I had gotten around him there was no way I would be able to get out of the house. I was fucked no matter what.

A noise comes from outside the room. I think it's coming from the living room. He turns around allowing me to run. I run right by him and I run into the living room. I looked back to see if he was chasing me and ran into someone's chest.  I look up and meet a handsome stranger. Fear courses through me. What if it's one of his buddies?  I don't know what they'll do to me. I'm truly fucked in his situation. Breathe, Ade. You got this.

He wraps his arms around me. I tried to run, scratch anything to get myself out of this situation but it was no use. I was trapped. "Adelaide, It's okay. Carter sent me," he whispered into my ears. I couldn't let myself calm down. What if he's lying? I can't take that chance.

I could hear footsteps coming towards us. He turns me so my back is to his front. I realized he had a gun in his hand and he was pointing it at Asher. Asher has his hands up in surrender. I could sense his fear. Good. "Do you want to kill me over this slut? She's not worth it. We can share her."

He doesn't reply shooting him straight behind his eyes. I immediately shrieked looking away. He was here to save me but, then where is Carter? why isn't he here? He doesn't care about me. I wrapped myself against him. he had his hands lifted away from me but then he softened and wrapped his arms around me in a comforting hug. I cried into his chest while he ran his fingers through my hair.

"You're okay Adelaide," he said over and over again. I don't think I'll ever be okay again.