CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Adelaide

This is the moment where fate stepped in and all my castles came crashing down. I knew that someday this would happen. No matter how much I tried I knew we would end just like this. With me walking into my boyfriend's office and find him balls deep in his ex wife.

It's a stupid thing fate, it always seemed to keep us apart. I should have known nothing he told me was true. I was willing to give up my whole life to be with him, but he'll always love her. He'll always be fucking her.

I gasped covering my mouth with my hands. This is the moment our love died. Nothing in the world could have prepared me for this moment and yet, I somehow knew it all along that we were doomed.

"Adelaide I-" he starts. I wave my hand in the air, sadness washes over me. It tries to consume me, but I won't let it. I have to be strong. He continues to talk to me but I don't hear anything. All I hear is a ringing noise in my ears. My legs feel like collapsing.

His eyes full of regret. The only words that escape my mouth. "Why did you do this?why would you think?"

I just can't. I need to get out of here. His ex wife is sitting on his desk with a smirk on her face. I knew this was her plan all along. She didn't love him like I did. She probably never did. Ella and her mother planned this so she can take me apart one by one.

The only right thing was to run.

So that's exactly what I did. I ran out of the office even though I hear my name being screamed. I ran through the people in the office with worried look on their faces. I ran past the door man. I walked right out of his life for good this time. As I got outside and the air hit my face I could finally breathe again and I let the tears fall.

"Looks like you finally got what you deserve slut," a familiar voice says. I look up and find Ella standing against a wall.

"You shouldn't have fucked my dad. Karmas a bitch. Isn't it?" She says with a smirk on her face. Was she always like this and I didn't see it? She was always gunning for me?

"I said I was sorry I don't know what you want from me, Ella" I raised my voice at her. She stalked towards me stopping right in front of me.

"What I wanted was for you not to fuck my dad and have his kid. You betrayed me, Adelaide. You, my best friend. I'll never forgive you."

"Well, you made sure that you'll never forgive you either. We're even."

I walked away and that was the last time I saw Ella.

Carter

Shit. Shit. Shit.

I was sure she wasn't going to fight for me and there she was. Fighting for me instead of running away. I made a mistake. I can fix it. I can fix us. Right?

I ran after her leaving my ex wife on the table. I should have known she didn't come here for the right reason. I should have known Ella would retaliate with her mother. My weakness. Now, I think I lost Adelaide for good.

I run down and outside the door. I look around, but I don't see her anywhere. Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Shouldn't have known it was always meant to end like this?" I hear a familiar voice. It was Ella. I willed myself to calm down before I had did something that might land me in jail.

"Why the hell did you do this? Ella?" I yelled.

"Because I knew."

"Knew what?"

"That you were in love with her, that she was in love with you. I knew it before graduation before it even started becoming a thing."

"You said you didn't know."

"I lied. I knew since college probably even high school. She was stare at you for way too long or I would hear her moaning your name. I pretended I didn't know just so I could destroy her and you. Everything that has happened my fault. Her meeting her old boyfriend, her getting kidnapped and so such more. You guys played into my hand," she said with a laugh.

"And you guys played the part so well"

She slowly clapped her hands together. All this was a game made by my daughter?