Seven

James' POV

The last thing I was expecting was to wake up to a message from the coach saying that we were leaving today...TODAY. As in right now. 

I had everything already packed the day before, but I was still unprepared. Today was going to be the day I asked Byn for his number. I wanted to have it while I was away for the week so we could still talk. But instead of walking into class and seeing his tattoos and his smile, and hearing his glorious fucking voice.

I'm getting on our private plane full of big sweaty dudes. Which should excite me, and it would in the past. But now I have my mate. My mate who is funny, and goofy, and fucking hot. 

And I don't have his number. 

'You're an idiot. A big fat dummy.'

'Will you shut up, Tryst? You're annoying the hell out of me.'

I felt Tryst roll his eyes as I got on the bus, every teammate cheered for me as I walked in. I offered a smile, trying to keep my attitude positive. I looked through the bus and every seat was taken except for one. And of course, it was right next to--

"Golden boy! I saved you a seat." Greene smiled and stood on his feet so I could walk into the row. 

Tryst was already freaking out telling me I needed to find somewhere else to sit for the ride. But  I looked around and there was literally nowhere else. 

Fuck.

I offered up a smile and appreciative smile before sliding into the seat next to him. I sat my backpack on the ground and pulled out my phone. Somehow hoping that Byn gets my number and texts me. I already miss him, and our pre-class morning sessions. I wonder if he is going to freak the hell out when he realizes I'm not coming.

Maybe he will find a way to get my number...ask around and see if anyone at the school has it. Yeah...he will find it. I know he will.

"You excited for training week?" Greene asked pulling me from my thoughts of my mate. 

"Yeah, super. This is going to be a good season. I feel it." I tried to keep my voice impassive, but being this close to Greene was reminding me of that fateful night. 

It was also pissing me off. 

I don't want to be reminded of a mistake I made. A mistake that could potentially put a wrench in my relationship with my mate when he finds out. Greene leaned over into my personal space and his breath fanned my ear which caused me to jump slightly. My body went stiff, confused about what the hell he was doing.

"I asked Coach to put us in a room together just like old times, I hope you don't mind." I turned my head to look at him, and I of course noticed how close he was to me. It was setting me off, memories of that night were pushing their way to the front and I wanted to run, get away from him. 

"What are you doing?" Greene was pulling me through the house, heading away from the party that was celebrating me. 

I felt a rush of adrenaline flow through me as Greene held onto my hand tightly and guided me down the hall. Both of us were drunk off our asses but as he ran his thumb over the back of my hand, I sobered up immediately.

What the fuck is going on?

"Greene, where are we going?" I asked again, but this time my voice was quieter. He grabbed a door knob and pulled me into the bathroom with him and closed the door. The light turned on and I was face to face with a very serious-looking Greene.