9.

You made sure to trail after Aether with a quick pace, eventually catching up and tapping him on the shoulder.

"Hey, can we talk?" You asked, taking a step back so he could turn around.

Aether jumped a little at your touch, turning around with a smile and then looking around for something, you weren't quite sure what. "Yeah, is This about..."

"Yeah," you cut him off, already knowing what he was going to say. "I just wanted to ask you why you felt the need to say things like that about Dew, and also why you were following me..?"

He drew in a deep breath, "I was just looking out for you, I swear. I know I can come off as mischievous and everything, but I really think it's useful information to know that he can get... destructive and defensive really quickly." Aether looked around as if someone were watching, but you didn't see anyone, "and... I had been following you because I was worried for our safety and yours. With all due respect, we don't know you very well yet, but I also don't want any harm to come to you. Sister Imperator tasked me with tailing you," he admitted.

You nodded, "I don't know how much I believe you, but I'll take it for now. Just... please don't follow me, okay? It's weird, and I want to be friends with you, can we start it over? Our friendship?"

"I'd actually like that a lot, maybe it could get Dew off my back," he chuckled, and extended a hand out to shake, you took it and smiled.

Aether waved himself off, he needed to go practice and you had nothing else to do, so you just turned around to explore.

Moments later, you were met with Dew in the halls. It was strange how as soon as Aether left, you ran into him, but you shrugged it off as a coincidence.

"Oh, hey!" You smiled warmly, "I thought you were still at the table."

"Nah," he shrugged, "I don't have much to do today, so I thought I would come see what you were doing."

"Well, not much?" You chuckled, "tomorrow though I get to maybe get some chores in the archives!"

"Oh, that's interesting, what drew you to that?" He started to walk absentmindedly and you followed.

"Papa recommended it," you explained, "I've been feeling like I need to do something other than practice, and it seems like a good idea to help out around here."

"I think you'll enjoy that," Dew added, looking straight ahead, seemingly avoiding looking at you, "the bookkeeper is really nice, I'm sure they would appreciate the help."

"That's what Papa told me!" You nodded, "I can't wait to see what the archives look like, Papa told me it's closed today since she has the day off."

"Ah, that was going to be my next question," he said, "I was going to ask if you knew where it even was."

"I... do not," you admitted, "I was just going to bumble around until I found it honestly."

He looked as if he smirked before picking up his pace, "come on, I'll show you where it is then."

You followed him down the hallway and to the right, this building is pretty big. Finally, he stopped at two large doors, each with a small long window.

Peering inside, you could see shelves lined with scrolls and books. It looked rather cozy in there, but it was definitely a big room. You wondered what the bookkeeper would assign you to before pulling away from the window, and giving your attention back to the fire ghoul.

His eyes were curious to you still, one orange and one blue, yet he gave his possession of water to you, so why did he still have a blue eye? Regardless, they captivated you, his gaze stuck on your own eyes.