Part 1.

Cara.

The microwave dinged. Water is ready. I take out the Pyrex jug of water and start pouring it over a green tea tea-bag. Calms my nerves. At least, think it does - therapist said it would. Though, I am a big believer in the Placebo Effect.

"What are you wearing tonight?" Taylor says, coming into the kitchen. "Oh, make me one?"

Auto-pilot reach for another mug from the cupboard above the microwave, place in tea bag, pour last of the water into mug. Fills only half way. I stare at it a second too long. "I'm not sure." I say, giving her my full cup of green tea, bag still in and pull myself up to sit on the counter and sip at her half-full tea.

"Well." She says, smelling her brew, "there's an after-party." Immediately looks down. Did not mention this after-party when convincing me in the first place to come tonight. "So I'm thinking like maybe a mini dress with some doc martens and an oversized cardigan. All in black. Thoughts?"

I choose to skim over the after party situation as she still won't look at me. "Honestly, I really don't know. Maybe just my white shirt, the one that's just above the knee in the back and mid-thighs round front."

"That's a bit boring." Taylor says. "I really want Scotty to know you're making an effort to celebrate him." She says.

"Scotty will not care in regards to what I'm wearing Tay," I say with a huff. "Not when you're in a mini dress and, oh yeah - his girlfriend."

"Maybe I can find my harness for you, let the top buttons be free, lots of silver jewellery, maybe some tights."

"No tights. Too formal."

"You're right. It's not the Black and White Met."

We have maybe two hours to be at the album completion celebrations at some club called Temptation in downtown LA. Currently in Van Nuys. Pretty sure we're meeting Scotty there as he will be with the artist, so we will Uber. Or Lyft. Honestly, which ever is cheapest.

Scotty is a music producer, and he's just done an album for some male artist, worked on it for about a year, Taylor tells me. Apparently, this club event is super exclusive  because it's before the announcement of even releasing the album has been made, so it's a strictly "no phones event." And is very hush. Guest-list only. Basically an excuse to throw a party.

"So if this super exclusive party is so..." I struggle to find my words, "exclusive!" I talk to Taylor as we make our way upstairs and into my bathroom to get ready, "why is there an after party, and why am I invited?" I climb onto bathroom counter facing the mirror, cross my legs and take a face wipe to take off my face creams and stuff from throughout the day.

"You're invited because I'm the girlfriend of the producer." Taylor says. She's being suss. She hears me telepathically, rolls her eyes. "Right, Scotty and I have been together for 6 years. When he wins, I win - and when I win, you win. I won't ever leave you behind me, Cara."

I actually could cry. My heart pounds. She rarely shows her soft side, but when she does, it's so, so sweet. I choose to ignore it for her dignity, but smile. "And the afterparty?"

She puts her elbows onto the counter and cups her face in her hands. "I can't keep secrets from you. It's always been my weakest point." She laughs. "Okay, at the club tonight, they're announcing the album and the date and everything so, the afterparty is celebrating that."

"But won't everyone go crazy?"

"Exactly." Taylor says, she creeps up on the counter, the other side of the sink from me and holds out her hand waiting for a wipe. I had her the pack. "I think paparazzi too - which is why we need to look extra slay."

"You know they wouldn't be taking photos of us if they do come?" I laugh.

_____

Makeup is done. Opted for a dewy skin and dark eye with a bit of silver shimmer. Nude lip. Taylor has gone for red lip and just some false lashes. She looks gorgeous. "These boots don't work." She huffs. "Oh! You put them on" she kicks off the double platformed Doc-Martens and I put them on.

"You should wear you thigh-high pleather boots. You know the black ones?" I suggest. I look in the mirror. Not the worst I've looked. Hair is getting long. Reach for the sea-salt spray.

"It's not 2015." She laughs. Then ponders. "Fuck you're right." She runs across the hall the her bedroom and puts them on. "Oh yeah." She says, stepping in front of me to look in the mirror.

"Oh yeah!" I repeat, "looking good lover." I affirm, grabbing the bottle of tequila that has been passed between the two of us since we ditched the tea almost forty minutes ago. I take a swig.

"Me." Taylor says holding out her hand, I pass he the bottle. "Fuck it up." She says rolling her hips to herself in the mirror. Tequila is our best friend at night and enemy by morning, I slap her ass.

"Looking good Rowland." I shriek. I add a little more eyeliner to my waterline and take another shot-sized mouthful of tequila, followed by apple juice. Tyga stops playing, we both spin our heads to look at the phone.

"Hey baby." Taylor says. Scotty has called. "Yeah, ready - Cara is booking an Uber now." She looks and clicks her fingers at me, I promptly take a swig of my apple juice and grab my phone booking an Uber to Temptation.

Drivers arrival time: 8 minutes.

_____________________________