Drabble #2

Girl Next Door

"Who are those people?"

Peeta didn't register what his best friend was saying for 2 minutes. He paused the game when he realized Finnick said something.

"Sorry, what?" Peeta sipped on his beer.

"There are people out there," Finnick answered, peering out Peeta's window. "A chick and an older dude, probably her dad."

Peeta furrowed his eyebrows. Could Delly be back at Panem?

"Blonde?" Peeta questioned.

"Nah, both brunettes," Finnick replied. "Damn, Peet, she's hot."

"Then yell it to her," Peeta rolled his eyes. "What do you think I can do?"

"Go out there and be neighbourly," Finnick nudged the blonde. "Welcome them to the neighbourhood, I don't know! Just get me her number."

"I don't have anything to give them." Peeta glanced around his messy living room.

"You can give me to that chick."

Peeta tossed a cushion at Finnick's face. "I'll go talk to them."

"Get me her number!" Finnick called after his best friend as Peeta left the house.

Oh, so Finnick wasn't joking, Peeta thought to himself when he saw the brunette with the braid.

"Hello." Peeta greeted when he reached her.

Her smokey silver eyes swept up to Peeta's face, meeting his blue orbs.

"Hi," she said awkwardly. "Is there a problem?"

"No, I just.. I live beside you," Peeta pointed to his house. "I didn't want to bother you, but my friend kept bothering me, about you, so I went out and talked to you."

"About me?" She laughed nervously. "What do you mean?"

"He said you were hot," Peeta grinned at her. "Can't say I disagree."

She blushed, her cheeks becoming rosy. She looked even more beautiful.

"I'm Peeta, by the way." Peeta jammed his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

"Katniss," she smiled slightly at him. "Katniss Everdeen."

"Since you told me your last name," Peeta stuck out his hand for her to shake it. "Peeta Mellark."

She shook his hand, a smile etched on her plump, pink lips.

"You moved here alone?" Peeta glanced over her shoulder.

"With my dad," Katniss gestured to the house with her hand. "He's inside. I reckon he's taking a shit."

Peeta laughed.

"No, Katniss, I am most definitely not taking a poop." Mr Everdeen climbed down the steps of the porch.

"Dad, this is Peeta," Katniss said, shifting and standing beside Peeta so she could introduce him to her father. "He lives beside us."

"Hi there," Mr Everdeen beamed at him. "I'm Byron."

Peeta smiled back at Mr Everdeen.

"Do you guys need any help unpacking?" Peeta asked generously.

"You could help me!" Katniss said, angling her body sideways so she could face him. "I have a lot of boxes."

"Okay," Peeta agreed. "Let's get started."